Color of float on Santee Rig, does it matter?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Buckedup, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    This past weekend I got out on the lake and noticed I was getting more action on green floats than the red /white or chartruese. Water clarity 4', windy, sunny, water temp 50-52. Has anyone ever noticed a significant difference?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    As a rule, I don't notice any difference, but there are times when the slightest change can make a huge difference in the bite. Sometimes, varying the distance between the float and the hook can be significant. I use green and red colors.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I mainly use red myself,alot of guys use the green ones.I think as Tommy said,varying the lentgh between hook and float has more effect than color.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes I have noticed a difference from one color to the another, or so it seemed. The problem is that it seems to change from day to day!! :smile2: To further complicate matters, about 75% the time there is no difference and they hit the different colors equally.

I have conducted several on the water tests and carefully tracked what color worked best. Many times one color would produce a good bite for a while, but then the other colors would balence things out. Out of all my tests on red, orange and white, green, and yellow floats, I did notice that yellow consistently produced less fish over many test periods, but it still caught fish.

The bottom line is that over a period of time and different days spent fishing the color does not matter. With that said, if you wanted to track it within the day and change rigs to match what works it could benefit you if for whatever reason the bite is super critical. When they are bitiing good we all can catch them, but when the bite is tough minor adjustments can make a difference.

"....varying the lentgh between hook and float has more effect than color...."

I will agree with that. Leader length seems to be more critical on certain days, and that is where the float placement comes in.

5. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Definintely agree on leader/float relationship.