color of bluegill

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by thecatman, Sep 14, 2008.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    does the color or bluegill matter when fishing for cats here as of late al the gills i have bought at the bait shop dont seem to work as well as the brighter colored gills i catch

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'm personally just pissed that you get to buy bluegill. I catch all mine and if I can I am lucky enough to buy gold fish. Bluegill can change thier color so don't worry about that part too much. I think that native fish might be better than store bought but it's not the color thing.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i've noticed when catching bait some bluegill will be real nice n colorfull when i catch them, then after a several hours in the baitbucket they lose some of their color?

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i think they are possibly different species of gills and i can buy goldfish occasionally since they are the same price around here

5. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    It might have less to do with color and more to do with how active the fish are. The ones at the bait shop might not be as hardy and active as the wild ones.

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i think they get more color closer to their spawn also to attract a mating partner

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i used gold fish at sardis and caught more gar than i did when i used perch which caught more cats color might be a factor

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I like to use bait fish native to the water If I can get them:big_smile:

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Zackly.

And the ones that come from the waters you're fishing are the best......And there are several species of sunfish that some folks group together as 'bluegill'... and there is alot of variability in their colors and markings.........

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    a lot of the color change from the lake to the bait bucket after a while i believe has to do with the temperature of the water in the bait bucket.i always try to keep my bait bucket in the water to keep my bait oxygenated and used to the temp conditions of the water i am fishing,as much as possible.

plus,imo the holding tank at the bait store might have something in there the bluegills smells like that the fish just don't like too well.

i used to be a diesel mechanic,my hands always smelled like nasty burnt grease.the last year and a half i moved up the chain a little and gave up the mechanic work.seems like to me i have had more hits on my live bait than when i was a mechanic,but,again,this could be just me also.maybe i just smell bad to the fish,lol