Color inside bait tank and live wells, does it matter?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Big Dav, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Hello all,
    I am getting ready to start on the rest of the plumbing for the bait tank and live well that i added to my boat. I was thinking back to when I was looking at some of the high end bait tanks, like the Creek Bank and the Blue Water tanks. If I remember correctly you could get some of them with blue or light blue interiors. Others were only offered with white interiors.
    Now would be a good time for me to paint the inside of my tanks if it is any help. What do you guys think? I have read that the blue heps to clan the bait fish and therefore reduces the stress the fish/bait in under while int he tank.:confused2:
    I was thinking about ordering a gallon of the Ultra Tuff coating in a light blue and using it on the inside of the bait tank and the large live well. I think it would be helpful since the tanks are all aluminum and might make it tough to see bait at night? Don't know about that. I know my tracker has an aluminum tank in it and even with two LED livewell lights it is tough to see anything in it at night.
    I plain on adding better lighting to these two tanks but would be willing to apply the paint if there is any benefit to in it?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am upgrading from the old trusty five gallon bait bucket to the one I built. So quality bait tanks are new to me. Since I designed and fabricated this one quality bait tanks may still be off in my future.:smile2::roll_eyes::sad2: I think I have incorporated all the things found in a quality bait tank in this one and would not want to stop with the color int he tank. It has rounded corners, insulated, filtration system (Akwa Lung) on the recirculation system, lights, screened overflow, and nothing in the way that would cause the bait to stop or bunch up and get all beaten up and pink nosed. I think I have covered most of the needs for a quality tank.:big_smile: At least I hope I have.

Thanks for the help,
    David

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    as far as the livewell color dosnt matter i would save the money. now on the bait tanks hmmmmmm good question i had a greyline baitank it was a creamy brown color and my creek bank is white. in the summer dav if you are gonna keep shad in it u really need to use shad saver chemical it kills clorien in the water ,has electrolites for the shad and other things to help keep them in tip top shape and it turns the water blue its same stuff they use at baitshops for minnow tanks i believe to help keep them alive its good stuff. also add salt. my honest opinion is save your money i wouldnt paint the inside use that money to buy the shad saver chemical and salt.also you will need what they call anti foam when your baittanks gets alot of foam bubbles at the top of the water a few drops of that stuff they disapear. steve at catfishsafari.com sells them and so does bass pro and cabelas. we get our salt from local feed store or culligan water in 50 lb bags .i use around 3 cups in my 50 gallon tank

3. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I asked around, and word on the street is the shad are loving the color tope this year. Every shad wants to be in a bait tank with tope, so consider yourself informed!:big_smile::roll_eyes::smile2:

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I like my bait tanks to be white on the inside ,it makes it easer for me to see the smaller bait fish. I can't see that good anyway.LOL:big_smile:

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Now that is some useful information right there...:eek:oooh::smile2: Got to keep the bait in fashion, I guess.

Scotty and James,
    thanks for the help. That was the kind of information I was looking for.:0a31:

Thanks
    David

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If you go looking, it's actually "taupe", not tope:wink: Not picking on you, preach, but just want Dave to get the right color:smile2: I probably lost catfish guy cool points, though, for knowing how to spell taupe:smile2:

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have transported live fish and bait for years color dosnt matter !:cool2:

8. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I personnaly use Shad-Keeper Shad Holding Formula in my baitwell. It is made by Sure Life and works great. It removes harmful chlorine and heavy metals from the water. Stimulates natural slime coat on shad and herring. It enhances oxygen content in water and harden scales to prolong the life of baitfish. It turns the water a blueish green but works very well. Cabelas sells it. Check it out.

9. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I have used the Shad keeper with my bait before. Keep a jug on my Tracker when I am going to have Shad as bait. When I ordered the Awka Lung system I got it for a Bait tank so i could use it with slat. After talking with Steve when i ordered it I was plaining to use salt in this tank. Thanks all for the info and suggestions.
    I just did not want to plum and mount everything and then find out I would have painted the inside of the tank. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. :embarassed:

Thanks everyone.
    David

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Great question David! Been wondering the same thing myself. Answers alot of questions.

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Better make sure that paint ain't toxic. Some coatings could kill bait years after it is applied.

12. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Good point made! Definitely good advice!