Color = Habitat????

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by SangamonCatKiller, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Is it just me or has anyone else notice the color of flatheads usually match the environment in which they live? Say you pull a flathead off the deep edge, or from deep within a log jam...more time than not you have caught a brown, or dark green flathead, right/? Now you pull one of a shallow sandbar and it is gold, or yellow/light green, agreed?? I figure I start recording the color of flatheads caught, in relation to its location, and see what i come up with for ya'll. I will almost gaurantee color=habitat! But, we shall soon see.... If im right ill be able to determine where the majority of my local flatheads reside and use it to my advantage!

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Great Idea Catkiller, You get it all fingered out and let Us know OK. Thank's J.D.:wink:

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you are rite on but water color has a lot to do with it to.

4. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    right poison! Like cloudy/darker water will surely = darker colored fish,right?
    I also figure that catching a dark fish on say one of those shallow sand banks could possibly signify movement from the fish, or let me know they are on the move! Something for me to get into this year, besides the usual mission of catching that girl that stole my gear!

5. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    What an interesting observation. I may do the same, I've noticed a huge color variation of the flatheads here in SW Ohio. I will definately have to check back with you to see what your findings are! Thanks for the great idea!

6. LadyTurkeyHunter

LadyTurkeyHunter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My dad and my uncle used to always say you can tell how deep of water a cat is running by their color. This is due to the amount of light that is being absorbed into their skin.

7. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    like the 40 in my profile was right beside a huge log jam, and look how dark he was.... almost the exact color of the log he was caught off of. Man, that was almost 3 years ago! I must be in a slump :(

8. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There is some truth to that but like the others have said water color does make a difference. I notice it more with channels than I do with flatheads.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds like an interesting idea, but I was under the assumption that the darker the water color the lighter the fish color........? less light lighter color/ more light darker color......???

10. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    exactly what i though. But, my finding as of the past years have contradicted that entirely. I will pay a whole lot of attention this go round'. I figured it was like a favor from nature, giving them the camoflauge to hide in the sand specifically because of yellow color. I would have to say that i have pulled nothing but green and brown fish out from under logs for the most part.

11. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    like this fish here:
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/BOCpics/?action=view&current=scan0015.jpg

it was caught in about 2 ft of water on a shallow sand bar. 30 something female very yellow..
    Or this big male, which was caught in some pretty shallow water, but in a very, very thick log jam.....nearly black..
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/BOCpics/?action=view&current=pic3.jpg
    ANd finally this 43 lber caught near heavy cover, again dark...

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/BOCpics/?action=view&current=pic5.jpg

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Very interesting Nic, may just have to compare some notes with ya through the year, Now here on the kaskaskia where I do 80% of my flatheading they all run the yellowish to medium brown color, and the majority that i have taken on the lake (coffeen) are more of the green color, would even add in a touch of gray/black to some of the smaller ones (less than 10#).
    Do you run the Springfield area or say Decatur direction more? Have not been up there for many years myself.

13. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You are right on!

The river I fish most has fairly clear water with a lot of clean sand bottom and a lot of woody snags. Some of the fish come up dark brown and black and some are almost banana yellow. The dark colors match the log jams and the yellow matches the sand.

And, I have put a yellow (the color, not the nickname) cat in a livewell and pulled the same fish out 20 minutes later, and he was dark brown by then.