Collinsville Fishing Show

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bwhupp, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Any of you fellas make it out there? Was a pretty good show in my opinion. Spent too much money of course, but that's life! Why is tackle and such so bloody expensive. HAHA

I did watch one of the presentations.. was pretty informative and seems a good guy. JEff Williams was teaching on lake fishing. His main rig is what I use personally, so I did not learn a whole lot in that aspect. But it did make my dad stop thinking I am an idiot for using that rig. Guess who wants to spend money now? HAHA!

His rig was the weedless line of sinkers (drifting sinkers like catfish safari sells more or less) followed by a barrel swivel. Then about a 30" leader to the hook. Halfway down the leader, place a float to help keep your bait off the lake floor. Bingo bango.. can't get much easier than that.

I have used this rig several times myself and found it to be indeed quite useful. It is quickly becoming my most favorite rig style for catfishing personally. If you do not understand and want more info, I can try and make a little diagram of the rig and post it up. But I figure 98% of you all knew this rig way before me!

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Glad you had a good time. So your dad was able to go with you? Sorry again about bailing out on you. Did they have a seminar on catching bait for your fishing partner? Or perhaps one on ways to keep from falling out of the boat? :wink::smile2:

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Yes... they did have bigger boats at the show too. You should have went.. could have solved some issues. :smile2:

Bought some single tail grubs and soft shad plastics to stick on some buzz baits or whatever. The prices were really good for the most part.. I feared really high prices, but it wasn't too bad at all.

I think when the time comes, I am going to see about getting some 80# Cajun Braid... but that stuff is like 40 bucks for a small spool. Ouch.

4. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea brian i know what rig ur talking about,im a real big fan of drifting.one time we were at baldwin and there were people just sitting in one spot for hours,dont get me wrong thats how i do it to.but when ur at baldwin and u dont see anyone reeling in fish,somethings wrong.so anyway i told hook um dan o to go to the hot water discharge and we will drift south cuz tha wind was out of tha north,well we start drifting and bam,theres a 25 pounder.my brother in law and this dude bob,(witch used to hold tha record blue for baldwin)were sitting there freaking out cuz we drifted by them and r reels were singing,we had alot of fun,yea i love drift fishing,its very productive.peace

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well just where do ya think he got the "free pass" from Aaron? :smile2::smile2::smile2: They can be a real good time, Glad to hear ya drug the "ol man" along BW, ya may just get his mind right yet eh? :eek:oooh:

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well he did admit that he needs better catfish gear. He was looking at his tiny hooks and such... and I showe dhim my hooks... His reaction "I ain't fishin for no whales!"

But I did get him to go in with me and get some 8/0 Gama Circles and some other odds n ends. Slowly... after a year of beating him everyday... he is starting to see that you need more than tiny little rigs and zebco 33s :wink: