!! College Football !!

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by Nate, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    I can't wait for Saturday. Another season of Buckeyes football, wohoo!

I always have high hopes for them, but I don't know about this year. They have a real tough schedule, rotating QB's, and a stem of trouble with the NCAA because of players doing stupid things.

I love Tressel, but he really needs to take better control of the players and get on their behinds about staying out of trouble. A losing season and a loss to Michigan could leave him jobless after the new year with all the recent controversy.

I know there has to be more College Football fans here. Speak up! What's your team?

2. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    My team is the Razorbacks. Its gonna be a long year this year without Matt Jones sitting in the drivers seat, but i think they'll survive. Houston Nutt is a good coach and i think he can make a winning season out of what we have to work with. Robert Johnson didnt have much of a showing at QB last year, and ESPN Sports announcers son Alex Mortenson hasn't won over the starting job either. We have our season opener this weekend against Southern Missouri State which i consider a blowoff game, then Vanderbuilt. But the week after that is another story, traveling to play USC in California. Its the first time i can remember playing them. Thats gonna be a tough one to watch probably. Only time will tell..

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The Buckeyes will be fine. The Clarrett allegations haven't been borne out... yet. They have two very different yet very good QB's out there with a 3rd in the wings. They have the finest LB's in the nation. The difference will be Ted Ginn Jr. and if we can establish a running game, which I think there will be a pleasant surprise out of Ira Guillford.

Go Bucks!

4. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    Football ... YEAH BABY !!!!

I cant wait for opening kickoff ... should be another exciting year ...
    I love watching Collegeball almost as much as the Pros ...

My Favorite team PENN STATE Nittnay Lions ... i know they are not
    what they used to be ... But I LOVE my Lions ... and Joe Pa is the Greatest
    ... our DEF is very good this year ... no if we can only score some POINTS

cant wait for tomorrow I will be watching some games in the afternoon thats for sure ...

5. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    All i have to say is N.C. STATE.Them and UNC are the teams i root for being a carolina boy and all hope they do well havent heard much good about them i need to get up on my stuff.Cant wait to go tailgateing!!!!

6. mcclinj

mcclinj New Member

State:
    Ligonier, PA
    LET'S GO PITT, Can the Irish!!!

-John

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i feel sorry for you guys :rolleyes: ....must be tough rooting for teams destined to fail :eek: ...come on now, say it with me and you'll be ok by kick-off; GO SOONERS,GO :D

just keep repeating it and you'll have a winning team to cheer for :cool:

8. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    SOONERS ... comon Phil thats a good program ... but I got one for you

Did you know that God is a PENN STATE fan ...

No you say ...

then why is the Sky Blue and White ... :p

PENN STATE proud and loud ...

Go LIONS !!!!!

9. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    The Sooners looked sad yesterday. And I think Peterson lost any hopes of winning the Heisman, tho anything can happen.

Seems like most of the top 10 teams with the exception of a few had problems yesterday. USC and Texas both look like monster teams.

And my Buckeyes have to play Texas next week :eek:

I have faith though. We always win the games we're expected to lose. It's those sure thing games that always screw us LOL.

10. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The Sooners did stink the place up yesterday. Something is wrong with their picture but I haven't figured out what yet. Peterson can come roaring back and make us forget about that first game. He did get dinged up a little too. USC looked like they have just picked up where they left off last year. Right now I'd have to say they are deserving of number one. Texas plays OSU next week and we might see what they are really made of. I still won't bet against Oklahoma when they play Texas. I think they have the Longhorn's number.

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ...........GO BLUE baby.........michigan looked great yesterday....much better then the final score anyways.....u know lloyd carr never covers the spread.................well for ur buckeyes....i wont root against them since it is a non-conference game........but as soon as big 10 play begins u bet im looking for them to loose..........anyway im not so much rooting for the buckeyes next week but i am rooting for the big-10....hey u might not like it but thats much more class then most buckeye fans.....lol....................yeah i did live in ohio much of my life....actually about 10 blocks from the shoe when i was young......but very much raised a michigan fan since a very young age, thats where i was born and most my family is......i hope for a Big10 victory over Texas........

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    did someone say "go sooners"? :eek:

what in the world was i thinking? :eek:

LOL, glad i ain't one of these OU nuts that think the universe revolves around the sooners....they must be in intensive care now..the sooners looked bad in all phases of the game, but especially the offensive line....no run blocking and no protection for the QB....if they don't get that fixed immediately there will be no major bowl for oklahoma

hence, i will, in front of all who read my prior post, sit here and gamely eat this large helping of crow :cursing:

:D

13. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    Tonight against Texas it was the Buckeyes game to lose, and they lost it. One thing I noticed tonight. While we have an excelent secondary, they DO NOT hit people hard enough. There were quite a few plays where Texas players didn't even seemed phased by hits from our corners and safteys and went on to gain major yardage after the initial contact.

Another gripe I've had since last season, deuling QB's. Tressell needs to commit to one QB and offensive scheme. All switching out betwen these two kids is doing is messing with their confidence and sense of routine. I'd be more comfortable losing with one QB and his style of play. Zwick can't scramble and run, and Smith doesn't seem to be able to read the blitz, and lack of playing time won't help either improve upon those weakness'.

All the hype about Ted Ginn and they tried to throw to him maybe 3 times total. Didn't even seem like he got much time on the field on Offense this game. Even if they dont throw to him he's a valuable weapon on offense because he requires double coverage with his speed. Imagine him and Holmes on the same side of the field and a tightend in the slot. A defense wouldnt know who or how to cover that, especially with Pittman in the backfield capable of swinging out for a pitch or screen. But again, for that type of formation to succeed, it's going to take a confident, polished QB.

Our Linebackers, they kept us in the game. AJ Hawk deserves the Butkus award and if he keeps up play like he did tonight, Heisman consideration. Yes I said it!

All in all, I'm not impressed with the majority of Tressell's recruiting to date. Sure he won a National Title, but he won it with Coopers recruits. I'm still willing to hang in there with him. Four National Titles in Youngstown St, he must have been doing something right. But the Big Ten is a whole different monster.

Time to regroup. Go Buckeyes

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Nate,

That was one of the greatest games I can remember seeing as far as Tressel Ball, I do wish he would have either kept Troy in there at least for that game he was able to move the ball better. I dont know what he was thinking when he put Zwick in there for the last 2 1/2 min of the game then Smith to attempt to get them out of that hole.

15. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    ............damn Notre Dame...........we pratically gave em the game, two turnovers in the redzone??? i hate notre dame almost as much as michigan state and ohio state.......but ur new coach seems key.....u guys have the hardest schedule in division 1 and you've already past about the hardest spot.......now all u gotta worry about is tennesse......since u beat our guys i hope u can run the tables just to make us look better and our strength of schedule go up................GO BLUE....still undefeated in the Big 10.......................................PS....when is Notre Dame gonna have the balls to join the BIG 10??? lol

16. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i thought Notre Dame wasnt under contract with CBS anymore?? thats why last weeks game was on ABC??

17. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    hey kansas jay hawks 3&0 baby

18. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    LSU LSU LSU Geaux Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    GO BLUE BABY.............HAIL TO THE VICTORS.........55-0 OVER
    EASTERN MICHIGAN!!
    a nice bounce back game for the Wolverines

20. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    hey BASSMASSEY... congraats, you beat the dying eagles. LMAO

So can a corps of 6th graders with hernias.

Ya know the 6 most important words for a U of M grad to know?
    "Would you like Fries with that?"

ROTLMAO

at least you have the proper english not to say "ya want fries with that?"

LMAO @ U of M

GO STATE- I hope they show the maize and blow what a good BCS rank deserves....good play.

Sing with me.... "on the banks of the cedar river....." C'mon you know it... you will hear it well enough come the first week of october.

The problem with u of m guys is their incessant issue with the mysterious half-game. When they lose, they were only playing half of their game...when they win they did it on less than perfect terms.... they cant come out and just shut up and say they lost or they won- it always has to be this big drama from the big blue dynasty. Ask Bo what he thinks of his boys this year- then youll get a good asessment. He thinks they look like crap and lloyd better get his head out of his pooper or there will be a new coach next year... hopefully one that will accept that their whole game aint all it has been written up to be.