college football week 7 predictions

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by tank3544, Oct 11, 2005.

1. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    If you thought last week's unpredictable outcomes were exciting it's about to get a little bit noisier in here. This week has some true battles with big postseason implications. USC heading to Notre Dame, Ohio State coming off a loss heading to Michigan State, a big SEC battle with LSU and Florida to just name a few. Cancel the barbacue plans and get ready for a long exciting day in college football saturday!

1. USC at Notre Dame - The excitment level for this game may be unsurpassed until the national title game later this year. USC has shown its weakness three weeks in a row with poor showings against Oregon, Arizona, and Arizona State. Don't just expect them to roll over and play dead however. Despite poor first half performances the Trojans are still averaging an astonishing 640 yards per game on offense. Combine that with Notre Dame having one of the worst pass defenses in the country and it could very well be a blowout. Not if Charlie Weis has anything to do with it. Mastermind Weis has had two weeks to prepare his troops for the battle this weekend. Weis's offensive knowledge from his NFL days are showing as Notre Dame is averaging over 500 yards per game on offense. Once again add in the fact that USC has been giving up some big numbers to poor teams this game isn't exactly going to be a defensive struggle. Neither team has shown they can stop the pass and both are giving up big plays on defense. Especially Notre Dame who's defense is giving up nearly what their offense is gaining in every game. USC has the edge in stats and in experienced players. Can they contain the big play? Can they slow the passing attack? Will the extra week to prepare significantly help? If the answer is yes to those three questions we could be looking at the biggest upset of the year. To win USC is going to have to score and score often. Taking the first half off this week could end up ruining their perfect season. One last factor to consider is the game will be AT Notre Dame. With all these questions to be answered I can't wait to watch this game! In the end I think Notre Dame's defense will be the deciding factor. I don't think they can stop big plays from Leinart, Bush, and White. I wouldn't be surprised by an upset by I'm going to go with the numbers here.
    USC 48-35

2. Texas vs Colorado - Texas is coming off a win in the red river rivalry which, in the Longhorn world, is a huge boost of confidence no matter how bad the Sooners are struggling this year. They'll be facing a Colorado team which is proving that it isn't a push over. Miami, although not an offensive powerhouse this year, only beat them by two scores and that is their only loss. The Texas offensive shouldn't have too much of a problem putting up some good numbers on Colorado, whose defense is giving up over 300 yards per game. Colorado is also not putting up big numbers on offense which will be a huge disadvantage against a stout Texas defense. Texas is currently one of the better defenses in the country giving up less than 250 yards per game. Expect Vince Young to pass freely and have it wrapped up by the end of the 3rd quarter.
    Texas 45-13

3. Virginia Tech - Have the week off. Extra couple days to prepare for Maryland.

4. Florida State at Virginia - Undefeated Florida State heads into Virginia atop the ACC. Expect them to leave no different. Drew Weatherford has come a long way at quarterback for the Seminoles this year and with Booker behind him they should have no problem putting up 400+ yards on Virginia. Virginia's defense is currently giving up almost 400 yards per game and hasn't been very solid this year. Their offense is gaining about the same yardage per game and in this case a 1 to 1 ratio is never good. Expect Florida State's defense to crack down on Virginia's run game forcing them to throw a little more often. A big game from Weatherford will keep this out of reach.
    Florida State 35-17

5. Georgia at Vanderbilt - Vanderbilt railed off 4 quick wins this year as one of the surprise teams this year. Too bad for them it was against poor teams. Expect a similar result to the LSU loss last week. Georgia has still left me unimpressed despite a win over Tennessee and remaining undefeated. Close calls against South Carolina and Tennesee leave me wondering what they really have to offer. Their offense is putting up decent numbers and defense is relatively strong. Yet mistakes and lacking the big play keep them from being the dominant team they could be. I don't expect much of a fight from Vanderbilt due to a poor defense. Also, I don't think Vanderbilt will be able to score on Georgia, if last week's game against LSU has any implications.
    Georgia 32-10

6. Alabama at Ole Miss - Alabama has landed on everyone's radar after defeating Florida two weeks ago. They lost star reciever Prothro with a broken leg but that won't prevent Croyle from continuing to be dominant at quarterback. Ole Miss is currently one of those teams whose defense is giving up more yardage than their offense is gaining. Ole Miss will be unable to move the ball very much against a strong Alabama defense. Expect Croyle to throw for over 300 yards in an easy victory.
    Alabama 32-6

7. Miami at Temple - Miami finally had its first breakout game against Duke last weekend. I expect another offensive explosion against a very poor and winless Temple team. There's no real reason to discuss all the facts as Temple is giving up twice the yardage its gaining and Miami is exactly the opposite.
    Miami 65-3

8. Penn State at Michigan - Penn State has rocketed into the top 10 after taking down a tough Ohio State team last week. Surprisingly good with many young players Penn State is looking to stay atop the big 10 standings. Michigan can't catch a break this year and are looking at another tough game. Michigan may be able to pull it out by spreading the field with Henne's arm. Penn State showed some weakness against the pass last week, yet Ohio State for some reason did not exploit it. Michigan's undoing in this game may very well be their defense. They simply may not be able to keep up with a very quick Penn State offense. If Penn State can hold strong against the pass and keep Hart under 100 yards rushing they should be able to stay undefeated and atop the big 10 standings.
    Penn State 32-21

9. Notre Dame - Already covered.

10. LSU vs Florida - Yet another exciting game provided courtesy of the SEC with enormous implications. The loser of this game can forget about a shot at the SEC title and certainly a national title. These teams are very similar in stats, but have very different offensive schemes. Two weeks ago Florida was beaten by Alabama in a game where Florida showed a huge weakness. Stop the pass game with blizting and creative coverages and they can be beaten. Did LSU take notice and will their defense be able to crack down? The Tigers are currently giving up over 300 yards per game on defense, most of those being passing yards. Not a good thing coming into a game featuring Chris Leak, one of the best quarterbacks in the nation. LSU also does alot of it's damage through the air, however with a more balanced attack with Addai on the ground. Florida is giving up just over 250 yards per game on defense so the Tigers are going to need to concentrate on somehow picking apart the Gators using a balanced attack to spread the field. Expect a battle to the end in a close one.
    Florida 38-32

Bonus Coverage
    15. Ohio State vs Michigan State - After a tough loss to Penn State, Ohio State returns home in hopes to salvage their season against an explosive Michigan State team. Michigan State's only really big win came against Notre Dame three weeks ago, having lost to Michigan this past weekend. This will be an interesting battle featuring one of college football's best defense's against one of the better offenses. Ohio State is currently giving up a bit over 200 yards per game on defense and Michigan State is averaging over 500 yards per game on offense. The deciding factor in this game could be Michigan State's defense which is giving up over 400 yards per game. Luckily for the Spartan's most of that is through the air, which is something Ohio State seems unable to do this year. Penn State, last week against the Buckeyes, showed an obvious weakness against the pass yet they were unable to exploit that. I would probably attribute that to poor play calling as most of their plays were on the ground. The outcome of this game should be interesting. It has the potential to be high scoring or low scoring. Let me explain a little on that. Michigan State has consistantly put up big numbers but Ohio State's defense has the potential to stop that. Ohio State has NOT put up big numbers yet Michigan State's defense definatly has the potential to give up big numbers. Take for example Ohio State against San Diego State. The Buckeyes only scored 27 points and averaged 25 points in the other 4 games. Then take for example the Michigan against Michigan State game. Michigan State scored 31 and had averaged 50 points in the 4 previous games. I think we'll have to settle for the middle ground on this one.
    Ohio State 28-24

Oklahoma at Kansas - Following a solid beating by Texas Oklahoma will be hoping to get it back on track against Kansas. Unfortunatly for Oklahoma I think the losing will continue. Kansas's defense is weak against the pass but very strong against the run. Bad news for a Sooners team with little talent at quarterback. Oklahoma can only hope Peterson is back and in healthy form to carry the team on his shoulders. If Kansas can concentrate on stopping the run, assuming the Sooners passing game is still lacking, they should be able to pull this one out. Oklahoma has been weak against the pass, but lucky for them Kansas offense dosen't have an overpowering passing game. They focus more on a balanced attack. In a battle with two weak teams the big play will prevail.
    Kansas 32-24

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Because they couldnt, Troy smith is an average Passing QB if that, he is a above average scrambler. If they would have used Justin Zwick they may have possibly been able to pull it out but I doubt it they played like crap.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ..................im very happy Penn State is back.....although Michigan is a much better team then their record indicates........look out for Hart....i predict he will have 200 yds in another break out game, and maybe a return from breaston......... I hope i recieve regional coverage on this one.....
    if not i might have to drive half an hour to the Michigan Alumni bar.......
    GO BLUE!!!!

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    troy smith showed in the fourth quarter on a number of passes that he COULD do it and that it was VERY easy against the penn state defense .. had they stuck with that, or like you said switched to Zwick the outcome would have been different

i agree michigan can pull it out .. however playing like they have in big games i was inclined to lean towards penn state .. a breakout game like you mention will probably lead to an easy win for michigan .. however its going to depend squarley on henne spreading the field with his arm, followed up by hart breaking some big plays .. michighan also showed a weakness against a quick explosive offense against michighan state which penn state has .. sure that was a really close game but the number in the right column matters here

isn't college football great? so unpredictable and exciting? any given saturday :D any team can beat another team

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I think for how slugish Ohio State was they could have put in JZ they say that he doesnt have the same umph as TS but hey it wasnt working with him why not let JZ try LOL

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Go BLUE !!!!..........overtime win against Iowa........i wish hart could stay healthy, he was out after the fourth play of the game.........i think in two years when hart&henne are both seniors , you better watch out for the Maize and Blue.............