college football week 6

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by tank3544, Oct 6, 2005.

1. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Week 6 of the college football season is already upon us. Just two more weeks until the much hated and debated BCS standings are released. Last week brought upsets, excitement, and what could have beens. This week brings us another crucial SEC battle and the much storied rivalry of Texas and Oklahoma. Let's get it on.

1. USC vs Arizona - Two straight weeks of poor first halves from USC. Two straight weeks people were on the edge of their seats, hoping to see the reinging champs fall. Two straight weeks we were all left disappointed as USC pulled them both out. This week brings a poor Arizona team into town. Don't expect another meltdown from USC in the first half. I'm sure coach Pete Carol has had enough of those and has worked his team extra hard this week. Combine Arizona's poor run defense with Reggie Bush and Lenell White and we should have a wide open field for USC to run and pass whenever and wherever they want. Lucky for USC's less than stellar defense Arizona has little talent no the ground. If they can stop the pass with their poor secondary they'll keep Arizona out of double digits on the scoreboard.
    USC 48-17

2. Texas vs Oklahoma - The storied rivalry continues. Only this year the circumstances are much different from the past few years. Gone is the quarterback talent at Oklahoma. Also, likely gone for this game, is their star runningback Peterson. With no clout through the air and missing their star on the ground, they have little hope of putting numbers on the scoreboard against a talented Texas defense. Oklahoma has been decent at stopping the run this year, unfortunatly for them Vince Young has the ability to pass and pass well. Expect him to open up the field passing and pull down the ball for some big gains. Oklahoma did have a big game last week to gain some confidence putting up 43 points on Kansas State. Expect both teams to come in fired up for a battle but it should be over by the time the second half starts.
    Texas 42-13

3. Virgina Tech vs Marshall - As Virginia Tech continues to somehow look better and better every week they're held out of a potential championship slot due to the stellar play of USC and Texas. Their offense is darn near unstoppable, with Vick completing nearly 100% of his passes last week. Their run game is nothing to thumb your nose at either with Imoh averaging over 100 yards per game. On defense it's been almost impossible to score against them with their defense holding opponents to under 250 yards of total offense per game on average. Marshall is coming in with losses to some really poor teams and close wins against sub par performing teams. Pack it in at the end of the first quarter.
    Virginia Tech 48-10

4. Florida State vs Wake Forest - Florida State is another powerhouse but are currently flying under the radar. They already have two big ones against ranked opponents this year and are looking to take out another ACC opponent. Florida State is averaging almost 400 yards per game on offense, surprising, most are coming through the air with quarterback Weatherford who is showing alot of promise. Their defense is another tough one, much like Virginia Tech, holding oppenents to less than 250 yards of offense per game. Wake Forest comes in relying heavily on the run, which will not go over well against the Florida State defense. To top it off Wake Forest's defense is giving up almost 400 yards per game and against poor teams to boot. Add it to the barn burner list, over by halftime.
    Florida State 45-13

5. Georgia vs Tennessee - Finally, a real showdown this week. An SEC battle with huge implications. The loser will have no hopes of a national title and most likely will not be in the running for the SEC title. Georgia has the most to lose since they are still undefeated. On paper the big difference is in the offense with Georgia averaging OVER 400 yards per game and Tennesee a little over 300. Both have strong defenses, so if both teams show up to play expect one heck of a battle. If Georgia can shut down the Tennesee passing game they should have an edge on the Volunteers. However Tennesee has proven they can stop good offenses having beaten LSU. Flip a coin on this one. Georgia has yet to play a really talented team which could be their downfall. Upset of the week.
    Tennesee 21-17

6. Ohio State vs Penn State - Another big rivalry. A Big 10 battle with big implications Penn State shut down a strong Minnesota defense but I'm not so sure they'll be able to stop Ohio State all day long, even if Ohio State's offense is not the powerhouse it used to be. Penn State's undoing will the the combination of an extremely tough Ohio State defense and a Penn State defense that is giving up over 300 yards per game. Could be a close one. Let's hope so for Joe Pa's sake.
    Ohio State 27-17

7. Alabama - Get the week off after a HUGE win.

8. Tennesee - See above.

9. Miami vs Duke - The Miami high scoring offense of old has yet to really be seen this year. I expect it this time. Duke is giving up more yards than their gaining which is a horrible combination in any sense, especially going into Miami. Blowout, plain and simple.
    Miami 48-6

10. California vs UCLA - Another huge game this week. Cal is going to need to prove just how good they are for a battle against USC later this year. Guess what? UCLA is in the exact same boat. Two high powered offenses will be taking the field but I think the Cal defense will be the deciding factor in this game. Expect a high score and a heck of a fun game to watch.
    California 38-31

2. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    tank, you sound like a true Texas fan! :p If texas is going to win it better be this year cause the next 5 years again will be a long one for the mack attack. Oklahoma 20, Texas 17. Making it 6 in a row baby! :D

3. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    phil, that's pretty funny!

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Michigan Minnesota in a couple hours............Go Blue !

too bad im down south and wont be able to catch regional coverage........i can follow on the Michigan website though, lol.....

5. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    bass i had the same problem .. darn michigan game was on and i wanted to see texas play .. regional coverage is a freakin joke .. they need to come up with an interactive TV system that ASKS you what game you want to watch .. i'm tired of having crappy games rammed down my throat

i was wrong 3 times this week .. one upset predicted wrong and 2 happened i would have never thought

penn state looks surprisingly good ............. not sure they're gonna be able to stop michigan if they can pass the ball however