College Football season getting close

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by Boomer, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What sleeper team do you think will make the biggest difference this year?

I personally think it is going to be Alabama......

2. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i think bama will finish no better than third in the west and probably somewhere around the middle of the pack in the sec. miss state really showed me just as much as bama did and with more consistency. im a volunteer!! and as much as i hope we get georgia for the third straight year if we do i believe the florida game {as always} will determine the sec east the questio is who will beat at least two of the top three east teams will be your east champ which i think will be stronger than the west or at least the top 4 will be in comparison to the west top for!! but if Georgia brings itg- everyone better watch out!!!!

3. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    but as far as sleeper out of the ncaa - im gonna say tennessee IF there coaches do what they are supposed to!! we are ranked somewhere around that 20 mark andif crompton steps up and our defense stops the ground game thats the two main factors for UT!! everywhere else is really solid and average for the SEC and probably above average for the rest of the larger
    conferences!! illinois might be the team to do it in the big ten!! im tired of hearing about way overrated big ten and pac ten teams!!:cool2:

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Not a sleeper, but a plug for my buckeyes. We are returning 9 starters on offense and 9 on defense if my memory serves me correctly.

OH....

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    IO!!!!!!!!! I hear ya brother!!!!!!:wink: rollo

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the year was 1969 when michigan got a brand new coach named schembechler. He ran a rigorous and grueling practice and often cursed or even kicked his players. many players left but those that stayed were strong, mentally and physically. his first year michigan battled through their first 9 games loosing twice, and everyone in the nation foresaw a blowout when we faced the dominant buckeyes for our last game of the season. bo battled woody and the powerhouse buckeyes to a 24-12 victory and shocked the country.

2008 I see a lot of similiarities with the Michigan program this off-season. We have a new coach, He's a hard-a$$ like bo......and a bunch of players left early....either to the pro's or trasferred. We might have a rough learning curve this season due to lack of expereince, complete new coaching staff, and completely new offense and defense. we only have i think three returning starters? Not to take anything away from osu, they're gonna be tough for anyone to beat this year. and i respect tressel for his play calling and coachinga abilities....although im not all into the sweatervest thing...I really feel this november Michigan is gonna renew the rivalry down in Columbus. It's not gonna happen this year, or probably not next year....but Mihcigan will be a national powerhouse with Rodriguez......he's recruiting the right guys and the spread offense will prevail in the Big-10. Just look at illinois last year, all they did was execute the spread and they beat a good osu team and won the big-10. and that was with mediocre players....Go Blue!! beat osu

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think the big 10 is going to kill itself this year. I dont think there will be a dominant team there. Look at last year. Ohio State's only claim to fame was it beat a weak Michigan team. Made it to the BCS championship game with the help of ESPN, and then was blown out. Pac 10, I think will be about in the same boat, USC is having a rebuilding year. SEC will have a 2 loss team again this year. Big East may make a showing this year.

8. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    that weak Michigan team whooped up on the university of florida pretty good

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah, I have only one thing to ask, who is Appilachion State, or however you spell it? The biggest thrill was seeing who was going to win the Notre Dame/Michigan game.......I was rooting for Michigan....

Should be interesting how the Big 10 turns out this year....

10. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    it was an over confident florida team and was one of those few days michigan showed up!! and that same michigan team got beat by a ohio state team that got absolutely crushed by FLA the previous year. its alot harder on a team like FLA when they play competition every week that could play for the national title. the big ten and pac ten would see a sad day if they had to play the same aliber teams week in and week out that the sec faced!! proof= two loss lsu still went and kicked the crap out of STATE!!! and if i recall that great mich. team was only beating vanderbilt 14-7 late in the game!!! yeah mich will have a better COACH- but thats it . the only thing saving them is the schedule!! but the big east is wierd for the last couple of years they have teams that look unbeatable but then they end up getting blown out by someone. oh yeah an to the QUOTE- a blind hog will find an acorn every once in a while:cool2:

11. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    you make some good points but as of the last few years a one or two loss sec team is alot better than a 2 or 3 loss team in any other conference. and in 04 when auburn went undefeated, well i dont think think that USC was upset because it would have been sadness for them if auburn would have been there- instead they played an OU team that got the crap kicked out of them and had one or two losses [ i think].

12. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    and the big east is coming on but they have to earn their respect . the sec has just gotten to where espn will actually say something good about them when they play a pac ten team or big ten team. granted over the years there have been some awesome teams out there but if you really look at some of them and their schedules do oyu really believe they where that good? two years ago an undefeated ohio state team that put up huge numbers----- against some of the weakest D1 schools and evry non conference game was D-2 {yes im jk but they where weak even if they were d-1} i mea troy smith could just throw the ball a wherever he wanted and it was caught but he did have a great offense, but smith was a high scool QB- to run and then pass. the only argument that the big ten has had against what im sayn is the 06 penn state -UT game and last years FLA- mich. game which they got lucky and played the best game they played all year and TENN just shot theirselves in the foot like we tend to do alot !!

13. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    oh yeah and to all fans outside of the sec - LSU plays appalachian state the first game- if history repeats itself- im sorry and i take back all my posts!!! lol :smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If I am not mistaken, Appilachion State has won consecutive national titles within their division. You should not be surprised at the level in which they played.

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    And what division is that may I ask........lol

16. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    LSU plays appalachian state? I didnt know that.....although after last year I don't think miles will even let them come close to upsetting his "damned strong football team". lol. you all know Miles is a Michigan man at heart right? Now im not going to argue the SEC being the strongest D1 conference, I think everyone already knows that. But the Big East? come on now. Take wisconsin, illinois, or even a michigan state and they would win that conference every year. It makes me sick when a south florida ( which I know are a growing program on the come up) or a boston college goes undefeated halfway through the season and they're nationally ranked in the top 5. I do think with whats going on at Michigan is going to change the Big-10 forever. Rodriguez is recruiting lean quick offensive lineman, not the traditional cornfed farm boys that we have always ran with. In the years to come we may have a QB with more rushing yrds. than our HB....which i haven't researched this state but I could almost promise you has never happened at Michigan. We are in transition now, when it all comes together we will be fast......SEC fast. We will run through the old school football programs of the Big-10 and eventually the whole conference will have to change their offensive and defensive schemes just to keep up with the maize n blue..........GO BLUE!!!

17. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    Mich should have won more games and played at higher level than they did last year. they had ALOT of talent. i dont think miles is that good of a coach - he has had some of the best athletes in his program in the country- if saban would have stayed i believe they would have had a chance at the title in 06. your big blue has lost a great reciever in MM and hart and the only bright spot was the back up QB who transferred last year. dont know what they have now but they lost alot of experience

18. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    yeah but thats like saying a jr. high team scrimmages the high school and beats them and someone says "but they havent lost in two years" point being it shouldnt have happened. very rarely a d2 team beats a d1 team. especially one of the big boys. if im not mistaken App. state got beat by teams last year that you never even hear about

19. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm ready! GO DAWGS!! The SEC has 2 big non-conference first games. The LSU-App. St. game, and the TN-UCLA game, both of which we need for conference reputation. Most of you know I'm a GA fan to the bone, so I'm excited about their chances, they have a super tough schedule though. All the SEC powers, including FL, TN, LSU, Auburn, and very tough games with KY, SC, and AL. We also go on the road to play a tough AZ St. team. College football games to watch: USC-Ohio St. and GA-FL., All 4 should be ranked in the preseason top 5. Anybody seen any preseason polls? As far as a sleeper team, could be anybody in the Big East. The conference champ will be in a BCS bowl and if the Big 12 and SEC teams lose a couple games, the Big East champ could sneek into the title picture. Catfishing and college football, two of the best things in life :big_smile:.

20. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    Catfishing and college football, two of the best things in life :big_smile:.[/QUOTE]

The only time I pass up a fishing trip is if Michigan is on the tv....and since i moved down here I usually have to drive to a bar to watch them..