Collared doves

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Mar 3, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the daughter and i went to shoot prairie dogs the other day, and i saw an unbelievable number of collared doves. i guess it's time to break out the shotguns again!
    anybody else hunt these suckers? here in texas there is no limit and no closed season. they are just as good if not better eating than mourning or white winged doves too. i cook em with a piece of jalapeno and cheese wrapped in bacon on the grill, with a few chunks of mesquite on the coals.
    last year we killed around 500 through the summer, and we were busting mourning and whitewings like pros when the season came up! only thing i have to watch right now is the mourning and whitewings fly with them sometimes, and you better not have any of those in the cooler out of season!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Your Lucky Jordon We have no limit but we can only hunt them during regular dove season and when our limit of mourning or whitewings is reached we have to stop hunting . The problem I have with the eurasian collared dove is in addition to being in huge numbers like ferral pigeons is like pigeons they seldom leave town here.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah they are pretty thick here in town, in addition to that the wife feeds em. the place we hunt for them is 8 or 9 miles outside of town and near a few grain elevators, so they aren't hard to find in a huntable location. i take a cooler with ice and throw my downed birds in there, to make sure they won't spoil. makes it easier to eat dove in the summer for me, because during dove season i fire up the grill right when i get home from hunting, and clean birds while the coals get ready!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We just may have to plan on a dove bustin this summer!!

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    shoot ill come down. i cook mine about the same/i soak im milk overnight prior to grilling, i slice down the breast bone on both sides and insert a slice of jal/habenaro pepper, depending what im in the mood for, wrap in bacon and shake some tss wild bills blazing BBQ rub on them. grill over coals till done and shine them with a brush of BBQ sauce.:wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :cool2:

here in il they count as part of the daily bag imit. i havent shot one as of yet. they are i bit bigger from the articles ive read. heck more meat on them wings.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Question? Do the collard doves you're mentioning here, have a black bar across the back of their neck?

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One and the same Bobpaul,I understand that they are being called 'Brown Starlings' by some game dept.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah except i won't eat a starling... well if i do i won't tell anyone!

9. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Starting to see alot of them in Arizona. No limit on them but you can only hunt them in season.

10. mswaterfowler

mswaterfowler New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Them suckers are big, aren't they! We killed a couple last year.