COLLAPSED FUEL BULB

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bassslayer, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    I HAVE A 1981 EVINRUDE MOD# E115TLCIM, WHEN I RUN WIDE OPEN FOR A FEW MINUTES, THE BULB GETS SUCKED IN AND I HAVE TO SHUT DOWN AND ALLOW IT TO REFILL. IS THIS A FUEL PUMP ISSUE? I REPLACED THE TANK AND BULB AND THAT DIDNT FIX PROBLEM.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bubba or somebody who knows something will chime in here, but for now check for restrictions up stream of the bulb. Do you have any kind of check valve at the tank? I'm assuming when you changed tanks the new one had a new pickup tube in it. If not, or if it's an old tank, check for restrictions in the pickup tube and/or kinks in your fuel line.

Also, do you have a fuel filter ahead of the bulb? It could be clogged, restricting fuel flow, causing the vacuum from the pump to suck the bulb flat. Good Luck!

Branden

3. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    ALL HAS BEEN CHECKED. WHEN I SHUT OFF MOTOR BULB FILLS BACK UP

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dumb question, please don't get mad for me asking, but is the bulb oriented correctly?

5. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    YES IT IS.. NP...LAST TIME I WAS OUT FUEL WAS SPEWING FROM THE CARBS, SO I THINK THE FLOATS MIGHT NEED ADJUSTING ALSO. I TOOK ONE CARB OFF LAST NIGHT...IT LOOKED REALLY GOOD, LIKE A KIT WAS JUST PUT ON IT. OH, IS THE FUEL MANIFOLD ASSEMBLY SUPPOSSED TO BE LOOSE AT THE BOTTOM END??????THAT IS THE VERTICAL PLASTIC TUBE NEXT TO THE FUEL PUMP

6. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    BKS72::::DUDE! I WANT TO CATCH A CAT LIKE THAT.....BUT IT WONT HAPPEN IN CENTRAL FLA...DERN

7. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Another dumb question,...Is the tank vent open?

8. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    HELLO BACKLASHED....YES IT IS....I CHECKED EVERYTHIN FROM TANK TO MOTOR

9. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    QUESTION: IF THE FUEL CONNECTOR AT THE MOTOR END OF THE FUEL LINE IS LOOSE OR NOT SNUG FIT, WILL THAT BE A POSSIBLE FACTOR?

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Possible but not likely.
    The most logical cause would be a restriction, or kink in the fuel line between the bulb and tank, or a closed or plugged vent.

11. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    IF THE FUEL CONNECTOR IS LOOSE, WOULD THAT CREAT AN AIR VAC AT THE CONNECTION, THUS NO FUEL BEING PUMPED FROM TANK....WHEN I SQUEEZ BULB THE CONNECTOR DOES NOT LEAK, BUT SEEMS TO BE LOOSE OR MAYBE WORN WEAR IT CONNECTS TO THE MOTOR

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    if its sucking the bulb flat if the arrow on the buld is not pointing to the motor it will suck closed in which i have put my fuel line backwards and it sucked shut if not than you got a blockage from the bulb to the tank somewhere

13. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    NOPE, THIS PROBLEM IS BETWEEN MOTOR AND PRIME BULB

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I honestly dont think your problem is between the bulb and engine. The fuel pump is doing it's job. There's got to be a restriction on the other side of the bulb. Keep an open mind. I think you missed something. maybe a partial restriction in the pick-up tube...

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I'd say it has got to be the pickup or vent.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It has got to be between the bulb and the bottom of the pick up tube inside the tank. That little host that goes inside the tank is the most often overlooked pieice of trouble in the fuel system

17. bassslayer

bassslayer New Member

State:
    florida
    THANKS ALL OF YOU GUYS,,,,MAYBE WHEN IM GOING WOT THE FUEL IS GOING TO THE REAR OF THE TANK PAST THE PICK UP....EVERYTHING ELSE IS NEW,,IL TRY TO REPOSITION THE FUEL TANK WHEN I GO OUT AND SEE.

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it was going past the pick up tube it would suck air out of the tank instead of collapsing the bulb. There has to be a stoppage from the bulb into the tank. Do you have a portable tank or a permanent tank. Also try running it with out the fuel cap

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I went back and reread your post and I got a feeling that your fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump or to the bulb ain't big enough. What size line do you have on it.

20. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    You said you replaced the tank, and the bulb....Did you replace the hose itself?
    Could be that the hose is collapsing inside, and you would never even see it.