Coleman's Duel Fuel Stoves and Lanterns

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Zebco 33, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was raised on Coleman fuel stoves and laterns. But, the easy of propane is starting to look really good. So I strolled down to Wally World and saw they have duel fuel stoves and laterns. Two of my fishing/hunting buddies have them but no one has used them with unleaded gas yet. The only review I can find for them is back in 2001 and it said it was crappy with unleaded gas. So, what I need to know, does anyone use unleaded gas in their duel fuel stoves or laterns? With the prices of Coleman fuel at $6.50 a gallon, I figure even $3.00 a gallon gas is a bargain.

Jerry

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Jerry I never used a Coleman duel fuel but I have a Thurmos gasoline lantern.They stoped making that brand over 25 years ago but I got mine from a friend who closed up the store where he sold them and it was part of his left over stock.I know it was made before unleaded gas was around but it works OK on it.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Use the gas......After wanting almost $10 a gallon I was willing to put my lighter up to that lantern... It was kinda funny because I made to kids get way back and I was covering my face..... scared this thing was gonna blow up.

I myself researched the situation is this is what I found:

The Coleman fuel itself is ONLY used because it has a additive in it that protects the tank and generator form eroding....Thats it. The materials in the newer models like the 295 have been changed to stop the eroding problem.

So that's pretty much the old green ones. I use the 295 I think and it works fine with gas...no difference at all. If your friends lantern isn't working as good as it use to its probably the generator starting to clog up.

4. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Jimmy, I was looking for some hands on experiance.

Just make sure your kids know to roll dad around on the ground til the flames go out!:haha:

Jerry

5. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    LOL, thats funny. Knowing them they would prolly chase me around trying to roast marshmellows.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Been several years but I had a Thermos brand cook stove and lantern that would burn leaded gas or white. That was the reason I bought Thermos to keep from having to buy Coleman fuel or white gas. Unleaded gas would have been better than leaded but that was before it's time. :smile2:

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have several duel fuel lanterns. What I have found out is when the mantle has a slight hole in it on unleaded, you crack the globe, instantly.
    Coleman fuel is not as hard on the mantles. I have lanterns in my camper that have the same mantles on for 3-4 years.
    Unleaded gas eats mantles, and seems to burn hotter.
    I thought I was saving money with the unleaded, but after a few globes and lots of mantles, I only use Coleman or that cheap brand Walmart has.
    I cannot tell the differense between Walmart brand and Coleman Brand fuel.

8. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Thanks Jim, I'm gonna see how it goes then. I've been using my two since this summer and I haven't had that happen yet *cross my fingers*.

9. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim
    I just came from being over at my buddie's house and he said the same thing. That's why he was having problems with the laterns we had.

I'm thinking I'm just going to go for a propane stove and latern. I have a solar charger setup, so I might get a LED latern and just keep it charged for night bank fishing.

For mobility, I think I'm going to strap my 40pound tank to my old dolly and just whell it where it needs to be. I've got a few hoses and a smaller tree. I'll see about getting a refill fitting for my 20pounder and refill the smaller cantainers.

Does anyone know if they make refillable smaller cantainers? The camper supplie store in Zeigler would refill them cheap, but will not the on the throw away ones.

Jerry

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    my fishin buddy uses one of these and loves it!
    It seems just as bright either way

11. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Now watch, next time I go my glass will crack, LOL

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Zebco 33,

They make cylinders smaller than 20lbs. I started scrapping cylinders, as some law changed up here and they have to have overfill protection in them. You used to have professionals fill them, but labor costs ruined that. So I think they wanted them idiot proof, so any 5 dollar an hour person could fill them without training and not cause a fire. lol

Anyway some welding supply heard I would take those old cylinders and had me pick up lots with my cattle trailer. Well I have seen them all sizes now, as I have all sizes now. lol lol

The funny part of this whole story is about 1/4 of the cylinders they had me pick had fuel in them. Some people think, just because the cylinder can't be refilled, the gas is no good. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

The welding supply was worried that I would not take them with gas in them. They said it would cost them a lot to have one of thier trucks pump them dry. LOL LOL I told them, don't worry about them, I'll make sure they are drained before I crush them. I unscrew the brass valve before I crush them, so I know they are empty.[ brass is going for 1 dollar a pound, about 60 dollars in a 5 gallon bucket] [ Steel is 140 a ton] I also have portable heaters that will help me empty them.LOL LOL No Joke, I have about 50 20 lbers. that are full. I have some 40s and a 60 lbder too. lol Boy that just breaks my heart, as I will have to drain them with those portable heaters this winter. lol lol

:big_smile::tounge_out::big_smile::eek:oooh::tounge_out::big_smile:

:wink::wink::wink:

13. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    LOL, thats a heck of a deal there.

14. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Why can't I fall into a deal like that?!?!

Jerry

15. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I use the dual fuel stove and lanterns. Use unleaded in both and have had no trouble at all with either of them. I have found out that the coleman fuel last longer than the unleaded so far as breaking down. Had a lantern filled with coleman fuel and one with unleaded that sat in the garage half full for about 4 months. The one with coleman fuel lit up fine, but the one with unleaded, I had to pour the gas out and put fresh in before it would burn good.