Coleman propane stove leaks

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Muddler, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hi, all
    In august, my son was cooking french fries and burned up the kitchen. While things are being redone, we are using our 2-burner Coleman propane stove. Now it seems to have developed a leak. Is it worth it to try to chase down the leak and fix it? Anyone have any experience/ideas?

Thanks

2. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i would find the leak because propane is heavy and settles down. use windex or some kind of soap and water in a spray bottle and soap down the area good the propane will bubble where the leak is. good luck.

3. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Took it outside to the picnic table and soaped 'er down. Looks like I need an o-ring. Now all I gotta do is find a place that has one!

thanks!

4. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Try WalMart they used to have the kits in the camping section. Not sure if they still do...haventhad a stove in several years. Might get a gas grade oring from a hardware store.

Craig

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Joe,

First of all, Don't let your son cook anymore...lol.. Sorry about the Kitchen...

Walmart should carry a repair kit for you propane stove, and like was mentioned, it will be in the camping gear section..

Propane leaks are very dangerous...

6. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the advice and the good wishes, all. I think it's a case (literally) of once burned, twice shy. It occurred to me that if I hadn't had a fire, I would have said "Huh. It leaks...must be an o-ring. Let's find out." Of course, if I hadn't had the fire, I wouldn't be using my Coleman inside what's left of the kitchen and I might not have smelled the propane. Well, my wife did, actually.
    That's another story.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I just got a chance to read your post. Hopefully you have the problem under control by now.

If you don't for some reason, take the o-ring to your local auto parts store, they usually have a good selection of o-rings, especially if it happens to be a NAPA.

The o-rings are nothing special, it is merely the size that matters the most.

HTH, Elliot

8. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I almost followed your advice, Eliot. I went to the hardware store. A number 6 o-ring does it. I had it in my head that there was some kind of a propane spec in the material. Stove is on a lawn chair drying out. I had to hose out all the soapy water I used to make sure it wasn't leakin'.

thanks all ! Maybe we'll get a stove this weekend, but my son's football team plays on Saturday. So we'll see.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Glad you GOT-R-DONE, Have a pleasant weekend with your family :smile2:

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    "O" rings are made of many different materials,grades and even shapes.Just make sure that you have the correct one for your need.It may need to be heat resistant etc.I have had to make sure of this for 40 years on USN Submarines to Chemical plants.The wrong one may fail and could cost you your life.I have personally seen people injured due to the wrong one being used.No big deal if it leaks on a lot of things.Propane could be lethal.Also,closely inspect each "O"ring for cracks or other flaws.I have seen hundreds of "new" "O"rings that were cracked due to long term storage in the wrong places.Pressure check for leaks after repairs.Most industrial supply outlets have the info and correct materials for all types if you need.Sorry.I too just saw your post.peewee-williams