Coleman lantern

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by wolverine, Sep 5, 2007.

1. wolverine

wolverine New Member

State:
    sc
    How's it going fellas? I was just surfing and came across this site. I thought it would be a good place to get some help with my 288 coleman lantern. I haven't used it in a couple of years and after cleaning dirt dobbers out of it and putting fuel in it, I noticed it was leaking before I tried to light it. After dismantling it and leaving only the generator attached, I realized the "leak" was actually the fuel coming out of the generator and running down onto the lantern base. Is the fuel supposed to come out as a vapor, or a fine mist? It comes out as a mist then bubbles and changes to more of a trickle? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It all has to do with where it is coming out.Only vapor is suppose to come out of the piece that your mantles are tied on to.Unless you have enough heat to vaporise your fuel in the generator,you can get liquid out.This is the purpose of the generator.Normally a generator goes bad by plugging with trash.Once a stove or lantern is lit,the heat keeps vaporising the fuel.Learning to barely crack your fuel valve just a tiny bit is a big help in learning to light one as expanding liquid cools drastically.This is how refrigeration works.They light far better in hotter weather and with warmer fuel.Cold weather and cold fuel means it has to heat up to vaporise.By pouring a tiny amount of water on a cold and then a hot stove is what I am talking about.Liquid fuel does not burn.It all has to turn to a vapor.It just takes different temperatures for different fuels.If you leak fuel or vapor anywhere besides where your mantles tie on,it is bad,dangerous and must be stopped.A little funnel with a felt filter in it will save your generators from stopping up with trash.It will save you much money over the years.Also the tiniest amount of liquid coming out and touching a burnt mantle will destroy it.The on line Coleman site has manuals if needed.A gas grill lighter that will fit up in and you can use to preheat your generator before cracking the fuel valve to light is a big help.I hope this helps.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Well Jeff i think Peewee ans. your question. Welcome to the BOC, dont forget to check out the members libary tons of useful info!!

4. wolverine

wolverine New Member

State:
    sc
    Appreciate the help guys....I'll keep tinkering with it. I have a feeling it may be more operator error than anything else.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeff Welcome to the BOC from So. Illinois.:0a25:

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Welcome aboard from Illinois!

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey Jeff, Welcome to the Brotherhood. You will enjoy and learn a lot of all the members.
    Bill

8. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Jeff,
    Welcome to the BOC.
    BTW Good luck with the lantern.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Welcome aboard Jeff.You have Just Hit the JACKPOT when you found this site,Some Mighty Fine Folks here that are Always willing to help. We are Glad to have You. J.D.:smile2:

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff.

11. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the Brotherhood, Jeff.

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38916

Might have seen this Jeff, but follow the directions for cleaning a generator. That should help. Peewee is right about how fuel turns to vapor. It should look like a spray nozzle on a can of spray paint if it's cold. Then vaporizes when hot. Hope this helps.

13. wolverine

wolverine New Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks guys for the welcome and information. I think I may have a problem with my fuel from a rusty can. Off to wally world to restock.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sorry!Had I known I would have sent him right off.Thanks.Peewee.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

I just went through this on mine :big_smile: Whistler's article helped me tremendously.. Brian is pretty knowledgeable about Coleman's and I'm sure he can steer ya in the right direction.. just follow his "how to" and you'll have it firing up like new....

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    If you think rust is the problem. Buy two cans of fuel. Fill that tank and swish it around a lot. Pour the fuel out though a cheesecloth or something like it. If it's got metal flakes in it, then take a pocket magnet and run all through the tank til you get no more. Then flush it again and strain it again. Do this til there's no more rust. You may have to buy a new generator if it is rust. Rust particles are very hard to get out of the valve and generator. But with patience it can be done. Give this a try and see if it helps. If I had it here, I'd take each piece off and clean them all in carb cleaner. Only do this if you feel confident that you can put it back together absolutely leak free. If you find you need parts, PM me and I'll send you a link to a very good place on the net to get them. Hope this helps.

17. wolverine

wolverine New Member

State:
    sc
    After rinsing a couple of times she fired right up. Thanks guys.

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jeff, Welcome to the BOC :cool2:.