Coleman Dual Fuel Lanterns

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by ilkeeper1965, Jun 27, 2007.

1. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    I'm looking to buy a new lantern and was looking at the Coleman Dual Fuel Lanterns, I was wondering if anyone could tell me there experiences with these, and does using gas instead of coleman fuel burn brighter or smokier?

Thanks...

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have not had one but have heard nothing but bad things from some friends that have them and warned me not to buy one.
    Bill

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Approx. 35 years ago I had a couple of Coleman's (still have one) and they would burn both the Coleman fuel or white gas. Just a new ploy the way I see it.
    Have a great day.
    Walter

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I have one and have used it quite a bit. I've never heard a bad word about them. I still use white gas because it doesn't go bad and plug up the inside of the lantern. It doesn't cost much. I've been using it for two or three years and no problems. I wish it came with an igniter. The walmart igniters are cheap and can fail quickly.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I have 3 of them, I burn unleaded in them a good bit and have never had any trouble with them. They burn the same on unleaded as they do on colman fuel.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have used my old Kerosene lanterns,lamps & stoves along with my Coleman stoves and lanterns for years with no trouble.Any type of fuel is like auto's,gun's and boats.It ain;t for rowdy users.The excess beer drinking and or drugging caused nearly all of the hurts to equipment and people that I have personally seen or known of with outdoor stoves and lanterns.I said most.The rest were caused by negligence and not following the instructions.If I was going to use them with the type of "friends" that "needed" to warn me about them and were not safe around them,I would find new friends.If not,I would not buy anything that I did not run off of a battery.Anyone that cain;t use or I cain;t trust to use a Coleman gas stove or lantern safely,I do not trust to use anything with a cord or hose.I am old.I am crippled and slow with limited use of my hands and even less below the waist.I can still operate my Kerosene lanterns,lamps & stoves along with my Coleman gas stoves and lanterns safely.In cold weather you will have to "Pre-heat"your generators or you will get raw gas out witch will break your mantles or flood your stove or lantern with liquid or raw gas as we called it.They will burn what ever kind of fuel the instructions say.I believe that the Coleman fuel (Naphtha) burns cleaner and makes your generators last longer as it does not have the additives that gasoline has.The most important thing that I ever bought was a Coleman little aluminum funnel filter with a "felt strainer" inside.It has paid for itself many times as I quit having to discard plugged generators on a regular bases.Any type of liquid or vapor type gas lanterns will get hot enough to burn flesh and start fires if used carelessly.The fuel cost used to be much cheaper than the disposable cylinders.I don;t know about now.I also like the large lanterns.The small ones dont burn long enough between refills for me.I hope this will be of some help.I love You Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Jim I have one of the duel fuel units an like it a lot. I only use the Coleman fuel, but liked the option in this day an age of using reg gas if needed. I think I might of caused my one problem by storing it with fuel an pressure in it for several days....the main fuel valve gummed up. But a lil carb cleaner cleaned it right out, & I was back in business. I like the new unit as you can adjust the brightness like a dimmer switch, rather than just on or off. I also have one of the Peak 1 lanterns, but like pee-wee said, after bout 3 hours ya need to fuel up, or get ready to. But it's a good en. My older coleman lantern was over 20 years old before I finally retired it.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    35 years ago, did you mean leaded gas? I always thought Coleman fuel was AKA white gas.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The old white gas that Coleman stoves burnt was the "Amoco White" or premium gas.No other gas was recommended.Coleman fuel was "Naphtha" and was so stated on the can when the Government started making all products be labeled with the contents.Leaded Gas would ruin them.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    PeeWee You are right.Gosh that was a long time ago. Gas was what .50 -.75 per gal?
    Walter

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    regular stayed in the $.20's from the 50's up to the early 60's.I saw gas get as low as $.03 cent a gallon in a gas war at the gas stations just the other side of Cordele Georgia in the early 60's.I sold many a gallon of gas and packs of cigarettes for 25 to 27 cents.Back then a kid could work at a station and pump gas,check the oil (with a stool),check tires,fix flats,change oil,belts and wiper blades.Now it is against the law for a kid to work.I got paid $2.00 a day daylight to dark.Always had work as people knew who would work and would come looking for you when you had a good rep..The sorry folk quit working when they could sit home and draw a welfare check larger than they were worth on a job.I made my Daddy proud when a grown up complained about someone paying me more when I was working side by side with him on a job.The boss told him that I was doing more.I was too.I was doing my job and his while he was standing around telling everybody else what they should be doing.What was really bad was that I was only 11 years old at the time this happened.Some things don;t change.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    Thanks everyone, I think I'll go ahead and pick one up.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    In the 60's I bought a Thermos brand camp lantern and stove. Thermos was designed to burn regular car gas. I used them over 20 years, worked fine.

14. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    If Coleman makes it I would buy it.
    You have to read the book or instructions.

15. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    i have a duel fuel as well as white gas lantern from coleman. i have had no issues from either.The ignighter would be nice but no big issue.:big_smile: