Coleman Colosuss

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Spongiform, May 12, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm looking for something very specific here. My girlfriend and I want to do alot of backpacking, camping and catfishing this year.

So all our gear has to be pretty lightweight and portable.

We're withing walking distance (bout 3-4 miles) of the Potomac River which is pretty good catfishing and lots of good camping spots.

Only problem is quite a few of them are not accessable from land. Blocked by private property or miles of wetland.

So we need a lightweight boat big enough for 2 people and some camping gear.

One thing, I don't plan on fishing from the boat ever - just using it as a way up/down/across the river. It's dotted with dozens of islands that are about as a remote of a spot as you'll find in the DC-Metro area :D
    And my poles will never have a hook on them till I'm ready to fish!

So I looked through alot of different brands and models of inflatable rafts. The best brand I could find is coleman - that's a name I trust.

Here's what I found.

The Coleman Colosuss - 4 person raft with 2 sets of row boat style oars and 840lb capacity.

I figure the 2 sets of oars will be good for two people and be a hell of a workout. I keep meaning to workout - but never have the motivation. Getting a few miles upstream to my catfish hole is a good motivator I think.

So has anyone used anything like this? Any problems?

According to a dealership - this boat only weighs about 20 lbs when deflated - including the oars.

Think this'll work for what I need it for?

Thanks in advance for any info/tips/suggestions!

2. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    I looked this inflatable up and it said it was 110" x 48". I seriously doubt that you can fit two people and their backpacking equipment and be able to sit and "row" it. Most rubber rafts are used by sitting straddle of the side of the boat and paddling. ( not rowing ) You should really consider getting a canoe.
    A 17 footer. It would be easier to get upstream, will hold more gear, and you would not need to carry a pump. save that space for a bottle of wine for by the fire. I have done float fishing trips in a rubber raft when I was a kid, and I would not recomend trying to take one "up" any river. I do however paddle my canoe up rivers here in indiana on a regular basis without much trouble.
    It is slow going of course but it would be much more difficult in a raft.
    Please keep in mind that when they talk about a "4 man" raft, it will support the weight of four adults. It does not mean that they will be comfortable. There are alot of these inflatables that are bought and used once or twice and then sit unused, there is a reason for that. Think about the dimensions, 48 inches wide, take away the width of the inflated "tube" on each side, that does not leave much room. Buyer beware.

3. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Look at the box that the raft comes in. Although it may only weigh 20 lbs.
    Unless you are an eighth grader at Bejing middle school number 213, ( where it was probably made ) you will never get this raft packed down that small again. It will probably take an extra backpack to carry it. I have seen a guy tow a canoe behind a mountain bike. While it is not practical to carry a canoe the 3-4 miles you mentioned, maybe you could park at a public access site and paddle to your secluded destinations. I wish you well in your search, I would hate to see you spend the 60 - 80 dollars on something you would not be satisfied with, you could get some really "trick" backpacking eqiupment for that money. You may consider a two person kyak, I would look at the longer ocean going models. ( more room to strap on your backpack frames.)

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Inflatable rafts are notoriously difficult to paddle. I think a canoe would suit your needs much better. Here's a picture of someone carrying a canoe while wearing a backpack. Note the headband and the line between the right hand and the bow that helps keep the canoe level.

Attached Files:

5. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still stuck with this choice for now. Whatever I get has to be relatively cheap $100 or less and easy enough to carry from home to shore (bout 4 miles).

It seems to me that 2 people should be able to row using all 4 oars though. It's got 2 pairs of oarlocks and comes with 4 oars.

Someone gave us a smaller version of that boat a few days ago, so I've been tinkering around with it.

It's a Seahawk 200 80" long by 48" wide. It's got enough room for 1 person and some gear. We're backpacking it so we'll really only have 1 good sized backpack and a rod/reel each.

By yourself this boat is pretty much impossible to paddle. You just spin around in a circle unless you do the 2 oar at a time rowing.

I didn't really know the difference betweening rowing and paddling till this morning.
    Looked it up and found this ->

So the colosuss is the same basic size/shape but adds another 2.5 feet. Should be enough for another person to sit and have a backpack.

You guys say they're pretty tough to go upstream in.

Here's a sattelite map of my area that I plan on hanging out in this summer. It's about 2.5 miles from the furthest spot I'd put in at to the furthest upstream that I'd want to go.

Map

There's 3 potential spots to put in at. The optimal would be the left one, but it's in a private neighborhood - so someone would have to let us in. So most likely we'll end up at the middle or right landings. The middle one is about 7 miles walking from home.

My biggest concern is - will we be able to go upstream at all? If we can go that far, even if it takes awhile and some effort it's all good.

If you want a good laugh, check this out. Last weekend we used that tiny seahawk to go camping. Put the GF and the gear in it, tied myself too it, and just swam across. Wasn't a bad trip really. Catfish were biting hard all night and morning. Think I pulled in about 15-20 total. Here's a couple pics ->

Boat

Eel

Fish 3

Fish4

6. Bill_Gibbs

Bill_Gibbs New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like your ell pic you have more guts then I

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I once helped a botscout troop get ready for a 14 days in canada. it was a canoe trip. we had yokes that fit the canoes in stead of a straight bar, the yokes made portaging alot easier on the shoulders and back.something else to consider , A CANOE WILL NOT SINK WHEN FULL OF WATER. A blow up raft can puncture from debry inthe river. or fill with water from waves or wind. wear pfds at all times on water. good luck and stay safe.:0a17: :0a34: :0a20: :0a33: :0a26:

8. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I live in Ohio. One of the favorite pass times near by on the Mohican River in the summer time is to go down the river in tubes. Several canoe liverys rent truck tire intertubes .You can sit in 1 and pull 1 for the cooler, we sometimes tie several together and go down the river as 1 big group.The river moves slow and its a very peaceful 2 hour trip. Now this certainly is not a very fancy way to navigate on a waterway, but say 4 tubes tied together would provide plenty of room for gear and a seat for you and your girlfriend.You would need some sort of foot pump to provide the air.I,m sure you could find a tire repair store to sell you these old tubes that have been patched for cheap.You should be able to pack tubes ,pump , plastic raft paddles and rope all in 1 backpack.

JUST A THOUGHT