Coldest Weather In Decades

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 1, 2010.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If the weatherman is right the next ten days will deliver the coldest continued stretch of weather in more than twenty years for the Carolinas.

We are not talking record lows, but a continuous cold streak that will deliver an average daily temperature that is around freezing for more than a week. Highs are forecast for the low 40's and lows in the upper teens and low 20's.

With lake temps around 45 degrees tonight, I am curious to see how low the lake temps will go.

:eek:oooh:

If the lake temps make it into the 30's, which look very likely, I wonder if there will be a major shad kill?

:crazy:

2. festus

festus New Member

I don't know about the shad kill, Dieter, but I'm up for ice fishing by next weekend.

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Darn Global Warming!

4. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Wish we were gonna be that warm.In southern Ohio were not going to get above freezing till possibly the 15th ,This weeks average highs only mid 20's. That Al Gore is a smart S.O.B.:smile2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Buckle down the hatch and build a big fire. Stay warm and safe.

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I would expect a major shad kill to happen it the water temps get that low.Be a good time to break out some ballons or kat bobbers from wild wolf products and find out.Good luck and keep us posted

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    IF a major shad kill did occur, what would transpire after that? Would they be restocked into the lakes? How would that affect the catfish situation? I know our local lake Wallace is very shallow, so the water there is going to get mighty cold.

Bill in SC

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Quote:If the lake temps make it into the 30's, which look very likely, I wonder if there will be a major shad kill?

I wonder if this will change my log book? the fish might not be were they were the same time last year:wink:

A lot of Fat Cats will be in the Waters of Wateree

9. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    a shad kill ain't a bad thing , we used to love it when i was younger we would just fish under the schools and you could'n get your bait to the bottom sometimes without a big cat gulpping it down . sometimes the cats would be so full they would just hold the shad in there mouths they couldn't even swallow :crazy: you would reel them in and there would be shad falling out of there mouth all over the deck and all over the water. we would look for shad on the screen take the weights off our lines put 3 or 4 small shad on a hook and just flip it out and let it sink and as soon as it sunk through the school it would get nailed they would just follow the shad and gulp up the dying :crazy: the shad kill also gets rid of the weak so usually the next year the population really seemed just as good if not better

10. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    If the water does get cold enough to kill off some shad I don,t think it will hurt Lake Wateree in any kind of way. There is enough shad in that lake so that a man could walk across the water and not get his feet wet. But it could make for some very interesting catfishing.

11. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    how long of it bein that cold will it take for the shad kill to be in full effect? i would like to try to get out in the middle of it and tryin to figure out when would be the best time.would yall think running free lines would work well for it? i was thinking that would be the best way to cover alot of water and pull through all the schools

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....how long of it bein that cold will it take for the shad kill to be in full effect..."

Our elder statesman, Mac, can speak better about it than I can. Being a striper veteran he has spent a lot more winter days fishing than I have, or most catfish anglers for that matter.

Mudkip (Capt. Rodger Taylor) is a catfish veteran that has seen a few shad kills in the area, so we will have to get them boys to chime in on what effect it has on the fishing.

I do know that threadfin become stressed when the water temp drops below the 40 degree mark. While not all the threadfin will be killed, thousands can be seen floating during these cold weather occurances according to some veterans I have spoken with. The weak are weeded out, and the strong survive; natures way of cleaning house I guess.

My guess is that after a couple of days of one of these shad kills the bite probably gets really bad. Lots of food, cold water, and slower metabolisms spells a bad bite in my book. I would bet you need to hit it when it starts!

We will see in a few days. Lows around 16 tonight, and a high around 30 tomorrow, and lake temps were around 46 today.

The Carolina Catfish Club has a link to the live lake temperature on Lake Norman. You can access it on the club web page at LAKE NORMAN WATER TEMPERATURE or just following this link: http://www.carolinacatfishclub.com/Links.htm

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  13. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have only fished a shad kill one time , we caught lots of fish but nothing over 10-12 pounds.I found out later that you need to either use a ballon or slip cork to get the bait near the bottom.I was told thats where the bigger fish are during this time.Shad kills do not hurt anything , it only kills a small percentage of the population.I used to see it often when I duck hunted , just never thought nothing about it.

14. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Can I have some of that cold weather you guys got there? Went deer hunting this morning 3 degrees -10 wind chill, tommorw 0 with -20 wind chill... right now it's the balmy high of 14......:smile2::smile2::wink:

15. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    yea weather isnt gonna be the best here.. what sucks is like what was stated the day after day cold weather,this is what causes most ponds to freeze over around here, not alot of ice but a nice thin sheet to PI$$ you off! not to mention the 20-25 mph winds, thats enough to make me stay inside.:angry:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  16. This really stinks. We never see this kind of weather around here until the end of January. It'll give the gas companies an excuse to start raping us again...:angry:

17. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    haha amen to that, my bill was $233.00 lastmth ,and the cold weather is just now gettin here!

18. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    We just got in from Cherokee NC and the wind was cold. I got out long enough to walk the dogs and thought i was going to freeze:eek:oooh: That wind was cold. Mountains look good this time of yr with the snow and all.

The way i look at it as far as the shad goes.........fish will be fater

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dennis is correct on this. Now is the time to use the Kat Bobbers. Present the bait just off the bottom under the dead/dying shad.

20. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    WylieCat, have no fear about a shad kill due to cold water (41 degrees +-) in our region.

"Abstract Production of larvae by threadfin shad, Dorosoma petenense, and gizzard shad, D. cepedianum, varied over two orders of magnitude and was regulated by adult threadfin shad abundance over five years in Normandy Reservoir, Tennessee. Significantly more larvae of both species were produced in years following winterkills of threadfin shad (repeated-measures ANOVA, df=4, 75; F > 21.44, p=0.0001). Peak geometric mean catch of threadfin shad larvae in neuston samples was inversely related to biomass (kg ha–1; r = – 0.91; p=0.031) and density (no. ha–1; r=– 0.89; p = 0.043) of adult (> 70 mm total length) threadfin shad in mid-summer cove samples. Peak geometric mean catch of gizzard shad larvae was also inversely related to adult threadfin shad biomass (r = – 0.93; p=0.022) and density (r=– 0.88; p=0.046) in cove samples. Winterkills of threadfin shad were size selective, killing all fish under 60 mm total length but allowing some unknown percentage of larger fish to survive. When threadfin shad stocks were reduced by winterkills, surviving threadfin shad and gizzard shad may have taken advantage of less competition for food resources in early spring and increased condition enough to spawn successfully."

Our own DNR folks informed me of this factor several years ago.