colder weather driftng

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by init 4 the CATFIGHTS, May 4, 2008.

1. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The fishing for me has been a little slow. I have never done any drifting for channels when the water was cold( Spring ). Just wondering if there were any tips anyone can give.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Keep trying. the drifting thing takes some practice. Perhaps the fish are in deeper holes right now. If the water is warming they may be moving to shallow flats.

3. init 4 the CATFIGHTS

init 4 the CATFIGHTS New Member

State:
    Illinois
  4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Chad,I drift fish for channel cat quite often and it has been My experience that the fish don't start biting good till the water temp. reaches 60 degrees.I like to use cut shad or bluegill filets with the scales removed(Bluegill) and the skin left on as it stays on the hook better and you don't have the scales fouling your hook point. i like to make my own leaders 12/14 inches long and I use a Kalie hook or a sickle hook which you can purchase from Gean at Wild Wolf Products one of our sponsors here on the BOC.(Super Guy)I then attach a swivel on one end of the leader and then to my main line,Now to keep your bait bouncing along the bottom of the lake just above the swivel I attach a 1/0 split shot and more weight depending on the depth of the lake. remeber when drifting for Catfish SLOWER is BETTER,1/2 MPR. Is Good. and If Its Windy I will use a Drift sock to slow my drift speed sometimes 2 drift socks if need be. Also leave your hook point exposed as catfish are NOT hook shy. I use a 4/0 hook when driftfishing as the Channel cat we get here in Iowa are between 5 to 18 pounds and this size hooks works best for Me. I know some of the folks down South also drift fish for Large Blue Cat and there set up is different and I'm sure some one will be along to explain there set up and presentation they use. I hope this helps.Welcome Aboard My Friend. J.D.
    :0a26:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    John, those sound like some pretty good tips. Thanks for providing quality information.

6. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Good info from John - I've done real well this winter, and early spring (40-55 degree water temp) drifting channel drops (35-38 ft channel). While its hard to drift RIGHT on the channel drop unless you really know the lake well (or use boeys to mark it!), if I wasn't ON the channel drop, my bite would come just inside the channel, never on the shallow side. I used a leader similar to what JD described except I would use about 2-3 foot leader, and put a float about 8" from the hook to keep it up off the bottom. On my particular lake, this worked really really good for me, consistentley. But water temps here have reached 60 and they've moved now. Hope this helps