Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Cold Wisconsin morning fishing

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Ikkie 
#1 ·
My son and I spent the morning of 9/2 on the banks of the Wisconsin River at a spot in Stevens Point. Air temp never got above 65 degrees, a big difference from the mid to upper 80's we just had. It's definately turning to fall. But that usually means the cats start putting on the feedbag.
Well, not this morning. It's possible the rain the day before in the upper part of the state caused a shutdown of the bite down here. Too much natural forage in the river will cause the cats to be more picky in what they will eat.
But it wasn't a total loss. My son caught 3 nice eater channels, and a nice 15"smallmouth caught on a crawler. I also landed 2 eater channels along with the biggest fish I have ever caught on rod and reel, which was a 34", 13# carp. May seem small to some, but that is a big fish in the water compounds we fish. This thing ate my sucker cut-bait.
Looking forward to yet another 6-8 weeks of fishing before it gets too cold,or the snow starts to fly :unhappy:

#2 ·
Forgot to add some pics.

Wildlife biologist Fish Rattlesnake Water snake Catfish
Fish Bass Fishing Wildlife biologist Trout

My son and one of his eater channels along with a nice 15" smallie.

Fish Fishing Recreational fishing Bass Trout
Fish Fishing Fish Carp Northern pike
Fish Fishing Fish Coregonus lavaretus Carp

One of my eater channels and my 13# carp. The carp was caught on pike-sucker cutbait.
also, we are firm believers in circle hooks, which all these fish were caught on, even the carp and the smallie.

#4 ·
I got a feelin gonna be nice this fall. not a lot of snow this winter, and should be nice till mid to late Nov. Just my feelin, Hope the bite picks up for ya
Yah, depends who you want to believe, the weathermen or the farmers almanac. IMO my achey joints have been more accurate than the weather 'professionals' and the FA is throne room reading material. I tend to be the type that sticks his head outside, and if it comes back wet, I know it's raining!

#6 ·
We definately got more snow already this year than the past couple years. Not to mention that week of sub-zero temps. 20 below, and thats before the wind chill. Looks like we got a few more days of the sub-zeros coming this week, but not as bad as a few weeks ago. I'm counting the days already to the middle of April,so hopefully there willbe open water on the river forsome walleye fishing. Still looking forward to coming up your way this summer and try your spots with you.

#7 ·
Yea it sure hss been cold this winter. However looks like nxt week is in the mid 30s woot. We will definately catch sum cats this summer. As well I just met a local guy that knows some hotspots and had a 31.5 pounder. Wouldnt tell me where exactly. But im figuring below the mosinee dam.

#10 ·
That I do not know. I do know that the Milwaukee river has been really cleaned up over the years and many species of fish are now using it. The DNR has even planted lake sturgeon into the river in the last year or two. Trout and salmon use it for spawning to some extent. I am not sure about the cats though. Wish I had an answer other than 'I dont know".I would checkinto someof the bait shopsin the area, locatedcloser to the river.

#11 ·
Looks like another cold week up here. Today is to be the warmest at about 12 degrees, with the rest of the weeks highs of only 6-7 degrees. Along with the low-highs, the overnight lows will be back into the minus catagory again most of the week. The trout earlyseason starts the 1st of March and it may get up to about 9 degrees for saturday. But then you have to try and get to the creeks through a ton-load of snow. Dont see getting any early trout fishing done this year.

#12 ·
This winter has definitely been depressing haha! Stopped at fleet farm today to spend some birthday gift cards and picked up a couple new rods and a new ultralite reel...just itching to get back out fishing! Hopefully I'll be able to male it over your way finally! Hope everything is going well with you!

#13 ·
Spending my free time staring at the snow and thinking it to melt faster. All my gear is gone over and ready to go. A couple new setups for the bigger cats and a few reel updates.
Hopefully, should be able to try for some walleye before the end of the month over by Wis Rapids and Nekoosa. Water flow is still pretty normal. The snow up north aint melting too fast yet for dam gates to be open. Thats a good thing. Both Chris and I have the itch for fishn.

#14 ·
Yeah I hear you there...I am dying to get out and get a few lines wet. Figure it'll give me a lttle bit to get my fishing cart ready that i'm making from an old baby stroller...changed all my rods from one piece and got 2-piece rods...little easier to crawl through the woods without 7' sticking out in front of you haha. Just picked up a new spinning rod/reel as well. Gonna get my rod holers finished as well and go over my tackle and restock what I am short on. Been trolling ebay picking up things here and there too...only place I can find the Mustad light wire hooks you told me about...really love those! Now just gotta help you stare at the snow and make it melt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.