Cold Weather

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    What is up with this cold weather? It was zero at my house this morning. Come on Michiganders, start praying to the sun & rain God. We have to get rid of this Ice & Snow.
    Sparky

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sparky, I'm on your side. I know if its good in Mich. I'll be great in Ill. :smile2:

3. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Sparky, sounds like a break coming next week. I froze outside today. Of course one of the coldest days in a while and I end up unloading pipe for my job in it. Have faith, it makes us apprectate the good ones when they arrive.lol

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Take heart, Sparky.
    A week from today things should be starting to thaw out.
    It was below zero here, too. Tonight we could get another 3-6" of the white stuff.
    Lucky me, I'll be headed for a few days in northern Kentucky next week, where it is supposed to reach 61 degrees.
    When I get back I'll tell you what it was like!
    I love going down there, because the sporting goods stores have more serious cat-gear than you can find in Michigan, too.

5. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    We had a light dusting of snow here. It made the 2" of ice on my driveway nearly impossible to get up. Picture me pulling my 1 ton van with a 14' cargo trailer behind up the driveway with a 60' strap with my wife's suburban. GREAT time! Especially when she parked, got out and then watched it slide back down the hill unattended. Now that is slippery! I wonder how much 2 tons of rock salt would cost? Anyway I heard it is going to be nice starting sometime this weekend. Then I can get stuck in the mud in my driveway. Picture me pulling...... I can't wait for spring though. Hope you all stay warm. Good to hear from you again Tony. Have fun in Kentucky. Are you going to wet a line?

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Tony,
    Are you going to do any fishing while you're in Kentucky? If you do, Good Luck to ya.
    It is suppose to warm up by the end of the week here. There is a last ditch effort to do some ice fishing before it all brakes ups. When I go up to Omer on the 22nd, I'm taking my short rods with me. Sometimes, when the river is open, there is still ice on the Bay at mud creek and the perch are there for last ice.
    I'll let you know how I do.
    Sparky

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    No, I don't plan to do any fishing in KY.
    It's a continuing education conference, and there's no time for recreation.
    I am looking forward to 61 degrees, though.
    Over here in GR we are predicted to have ABOVE FREEZING TEMPS from Sunday through Thursday, even at night! That ought to thaw out the street and raise the river!
    My mind is made up, I'm going for a boat ride as soon as the river is clear of ice packs. Even if I don't catch anything, I'll get a look at all the new log jams.
    Good luck on the perch! I'll take all your extras!

8. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well, guys, don't know how many of you fish the Sagnasty for whiskerfish but I did my best to break up the ice this last Friday. Must've punched close to fifty holes with the ol' gas auger. Unfortunately, also punched one "Gabe" sized hole as well. An old hole had eroded and been covered with snow. A situation that is almost undetectable, unless of coarse you go through. After changing out of soaked clothes, we continued fishing the rest of the morning on 6 inches of good ice a mere 15yds or so from where I went in. Pulled a limit of marble eyes in the afternoon.

I cleaned and packed up the shanty and will be getting out the boat this week to start prepping it. So, just thought I'd let ya'll know I did my part to break up the ice.

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Its amazing, but the ice on the Grand River (upstream from downtown Grand Rapids anyway) has pretty much dissappeared in a day or so.
    Either it all melted or there's a heck of a pile of ice floes somewhere between Jenison and Grand Haven.

10. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I cleaned the paint off the bottom of my boat today with some of that ice!!! It's like flying through an asteroid field at times.

Dan

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I'm afraid it's going to be that way for a while. The river is up again this morning (3/13), and there's months worth of debris getting sucked into the flow. Like you said under the other thread, lots of timber, along with leaves, litter, ice, etc.
    Once it crests and drops back some, fishing will be a lot easier.
    Hey, keep me posted on the tournaments this year, and we'll go show 'em up!
    Tony

12. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    WOW, Michigan is teasing us all, 65 degrees on Monday, and now SNOW again, ARGH. WILL IT EVER END? :)