Cold weather

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by zappaf19, Oct 1, 2006.

Cold weather is coming are you wear your PFD?

1. Yes I wear one

2. No I don't wear one

3. Not wearing on yet but going to when it gets colder

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    With cold weather and cold water temps are dropping, how many of you are fishing with your PFD on?
    Bill

2. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    There is lots of times, I am winter fishin alone,use one of those self inflating ones.There a little more comfy.........and it can help save ur life if u fall out of the boat.:eek:oooh:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm still looking for that fish of a lifetime and when he finds me I want to be ready. Always wear the auto inflater type. Good Fishing

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Yeah, I got the selfinflater type also. Better to be safe than sorry! Sometimes I'll wear it under my vest when I'm in my waders flyfishing in the fall. Just because I usually fish alone except formy doggie "Bucky"
    :tounge_out:

5. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    I like mine when its cold,but my winter vest will flot more than my summer vest to help with all the extra clothing and the boots.

6. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    I have a very bad back and if I hit the water wrong it would be curtains for sure. I always wear my so-spenders, with the auto inflate.

7. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I wear mine when I'm traveling , take it off after I get set up. Thats how I do it all year long.

8. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    When the boats moving I wear it. As it gets colder I keep it on more because it seams to provide some extra insulation.
    In the summer I take it off when anchored.

Dave

9. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I dont usely wear mine, but sometimes wear it for extra warmth.:0a20:

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I wear mine when the boat is underway and until the anchor is down. then I keep it within reaching distance. If the water is rough I keep it on the whole time.

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't think when your number comes up it will matter if you are wering a pfd, or seat belt. When it's your time you are out of here.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    To be quite honest, I never wear one but there has been times when I made sure it was HANDY:embarassed:

13. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    I wear my inflatible all the time.

14. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I wear mine more in the colder weather

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I wear mine all the time almost all year. In the middle of the summer I sometimes don't wear it, but other then that I always have it on. If I go out with a friend that has a big boat, at least 19ft then I have one with me but usually don't put it on.

16. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i wear mine whenever the boat is being powered by the main motor or in heavy current. Have read, heard or been in the area where mr so-and-so went in the water for some reason, who was also a good swimmer, and they found mr so-and-so's body a week later.

Went out yesterday and it was 32 when i launched the boat at yellow creek, i didn't remember i had my pfd on till the sun was high in the sky and i started to get warm...lol

I personally have almost fell in a few times throwing my cast net, easy to loose your balance.

cyas
    rc

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    When moving I wear it when fishing keep it in reach

18. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    always have it on when moving take it off when I stop the boat but honestly should have it on at all times...

19. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, I always wear a PFD while in my boat. I also provide one for anyone else in it - and request that they try it on and make sure it fits them as well. I use the inflatable ones. They are comfortable and can be worn over or under a jacket without too much restriction of movement. Actually after a while, you hardly notice you are wearing one.

I also have the conventional kind for anyone that does not like the inflatables. The regular ones do have the added benefit of providing additional warmth when it is really cold.

I am also in the habit of using my inflatable PFD while in my float tube, kickboat or on someone else's boat. It is especially important in my opinion to wear them while fishing alone - which I do quite often.

20. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Yeah, What you said.:big_smile: