Cold weather running

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jeffw51, Oct 23, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i plan on hunting out of my boat this fall and early winter any hints on protecting the motor on very cold days

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    make sure you leave the motor in the DOWN position while not running. This way the water drains and doesn't freeze and crack a block, or anything else. That, and i would let the motor warm up a few minutes before running her too hard, but then again, i do this even in warm weather, i think its good for the motor, and my owners manual tells me to.

3. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    thank you for your advice matt.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    One thing i might add is to run some additives in your fuel system to keep the water out of it. Also do a proper grease job with marine grease on the steering cable to keep it from freezing up. I've seen both of those things keep people from fishing in cold weather tournaments, including us :eek:oooh::smile2:.

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good advice from others and I will add a couple little hints we use to keep our Duck Rigs in play.

Mixed feelings on this But, when it is solidly below freezing we unhook the fule line and run her dry every day before pulling it out.
    I also remove the bulb an hose assmy and let it travel in the warm truck.

We run premium grade fule and one notch hotter heat range on the Plugs. We do alot of low speed work and Ideling.
    (No danger and lots less grief)
    When draining as said make sure it, drains.. Spin the prop, tip him back up on the transom and down again.. she will drain some more.

If your trailering . Strips of flat PVC on the bunks will keep it from freezing down and having to go thru the soak to get loose.
    Caution if ya strip the bunks, keep the winch strap tight till ya hit the water.. she will slide right off..
    Don't ask how I know..LOL

Good ole silicon spray is a wonderful thing to keep things working in the cold. Displaces water and won't collect grunge. Tiller handles, pulleys, light switches..
    Good luck and bundle up.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    After reading Duckpoor's reply, i can tell it gets a lot colder in Illinois than it does in maryland, as we do not worry about the plugs or running the motor dry after we're done. If you're worried about water in the fuel, your best bet is to keep your gas tank full when not using the boat. I was told by the dealer i bought my motor from that those plastic fuel tanks actually MAKE WATER. They told me "Just stick an empty plastic bag out in the sun, it will sweat inside". I have hunted a few days when at 4:00am the temp was 6deg. with wind chill below 0, and the high for the day didn't get out of the teens. Break ice all the way to our spot. Never had a problem with fuel lines freezing or plugs fowling (even with lots of idling or our 2 stroke). I am not saying these things cannot happen, as they most surely can, just that we have never had a problem. Better safe than sorry, right? We also use 15 and 25 horse 2 strokes, not as prone to fowling plugs while idling as the bigger 2 strokes.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    One of the best things I did was to add a fuel water separator to my boats. Takes the grief out of getting water to the carbs.
    On the issue of running the carbs dry, I would not recommend that if you have two carbs or more. One will run out before the other and you have a lean cylinder on your hands with premature wear.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    GREAT ADVISE yall, was just going to make a post along these lines, one thing that we also do (just because) I have a portable air tank in the truck and I use it to blow the lower unit down after draining, ( maybe over kill) but always worried about the ride home in the COLD Ilini winter. No problems so far (20 years) better go knock some wood now...LOL.
    Don't forget the Bucket with rock salt and sand or something for traction! never know just when the ramp may "glaze over" Oh also keep a set of tire chains, have never had to use them but its a just in-case, we do fish some lakes that well not many are around if assistance would be needed.

Duckpoor, are you referring to them bunk board sets from the stores, or do you use something different, I HAVE thought about them but not real sure on them? thanks

9. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Fishn,
    We have access from a local plastics company , cutoffs. they range from 1/4" and 5/16" what seems alot like PVC. Plastic. Farily soft (flexable) and tough as nails. Countersunk deck screws are just the tcket and the coating on them keeps them from rusting.
    I am betting the factory build pieces probably are made of some Magic stuff but ours work great. Once ya have them on , you will be asking yourself why did I wait so long?

10. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    thanks for all your advise guys

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    As always good advise is to had for the asking. Thanks for reminding me to get Things done. Later Andy