Cold weather gear

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Oct 13, 2009.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    With the cold weather coming on, What do you wear to stay warm?
    I've worked the last few years out doors all winter long and even drove a snow truck w/out heat. Got to love the city I live in. Don't fix nothing if they can get away with it. I did throw in the towel and no longer work for them cause of things like this. But I do have what I believe is a good cold weather gear. Prior to working for the city I worked in an underground freezer and was good for up to 8 hours at -40 F. Now that was cold!
    I believe in layers and always started with Under Armour. It pulls all moister away from your skin and I wore it from head to toe. Not cheap but very durable. After that I'd put on a thin layer of cotton followed by Flannel or fleece. Got to love fleece lined jeans, Flannel lined is good but fleece is better. Regular johns help allot but never held up more than a season for me. My Under Armour has held up for going on 4+ years now and still hanging in there.
    Most the winter the last few years I wore my hoodie and a down vest and was just fine. I can't tell you the number of people who asked me wtf was wrong with me and I would just grin at them and say cold, its not that cold.
    I do believe in gortex and just love the stuff. Helps keep the moister and wind off of you and thats a major plus!
    My Question is: What do you suggest for those cold and rainy days of hunting and fishing?
    Thanks in advance for your input.​

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Out here, it is cold, nothing to break the wind, it is mostly desert. 2 winters ago they had the worst winter in 40 years. The wind blows constantly here, there is not getting away from it.

In really cold weather I wear the following:

1. Under Armor is a must, sucks the sweat off the body.
    2. Good thick long johns over the under armor.
    3. Loose pants and shirt.
    4. I have a fleece overalls I wear under the pants if really cold and a fleece liner.
    5. Gortex jacket (a must for rain)
    6. If is raining really hard, I have one of the old military style ponchos.
    7. Watch cap.
    8. Good set of gloves (I also keep hand warmers in my pocket).
    9. Good heavy wool socks.
    10. I have a good pair of military issue cold weather boots.

I have had to sleep in -5 degree weather on cots outside. I have a sleeping bag rated for -20, but that is not enough. I keep a fleece blanket with me, which doubles as a pillow if not needed. I also will throw a hand warmer in the bag about 20 minutes before hitting the sack, sure helps the toes

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Down vest,,, down any thing,,lol,,,Get a metal heater/hand warmer that runs on lighter fluid...put that in your pocket and it will be like you have a furnace in your coveralls.

This year I picked up a set of coveralls off Ebay that have floatation built in,,,, Got them cheap too,,, about 35 dollars including shipping...lol,,,, and they fit good.

Hey I used to work outside all winter next to Lake Michigan in the steel mill,,that wind off that lake is mean during the winter,,,, especially if you are 100 to 200 feet in the air,,, it really blows up there.

4. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When it gets real cold under armour, heavy weight thermals, fleece pants, sweat pants, regular pants, insulated camo pants, heavy wool socks, good insulated boots, sweatshirt, fleece jacket and heavy insulated camo parka. I have a heavy pair of gloves and a strap on fleece handwarmer, or wear a thin pair of gloves inside my thick gloves. I wear a thick facemask with a thick fleece hood around that or the thick hood of my coat. Since I'm wearing layers I can take some off If I start getting too warm.

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    All excellent plans. I forgot to mention the pocket heaters, Got to love having a fire in your pants. Thanks for bringing the pocket heaters up. another source would be those little packs you can buy that self heat. Just remember, The more O2 they get the faster and hotter they will heat.
    I tried some of there toe warmers in my summer boots last winter and was fine all day long, while most of my coworkers were complaining. I laced em tight and enjoyed the slow burn.
    I was reading about some Mickey Mouse boot from the military. I'd like to know more about them. My old cold boots are Glacier boots and have never failed me. They even came with screw on spikes. They are truly great boots, But are getting to heavy for me know.

6. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    A hooded sweat shirt, and if it's real cold, I wear 2 pairs of socks, 2 hoodies, and maybe 2 beanies. That's about as cold as it gets down here. You guys up north really know how to bundle up; it's given me some ideas for when I go hunting. :cool2:

ETA: Gloves too if it's real cold, but I'm hot-natured anyway.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    polar fleece, more fleece and a shell to keep the wind off. the psolar face mask is awesome and looks ridiculous. It's worth one layer by itself. If you can breathe warm air when it's 0, it really helps. Just imagine how much heat is lost through what you breathe out. I don't like old fashioned wool socks. I've had better luck with regular acrylic socks in insulated boots a size too big. If the boots are too tight your feet will get sweaty and stay that way.

I totally avoid cotton because it gets wet and stays wet and it's heavy and it doesn't stretch. Too many layers and some carhart stuff and you can't move your arms.

I'm kind of picky but I get paid to be outside too. If you're miserable, it doesn't pay any better. It's easy to mess a job up when you're worried about everything but the job and you just want to get done or go sit in the truck.

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Polypro underwear and socks, wool socks and hat, Patagonia pile pants and jacket, Cabelas Guide Wear Gortex bibs and jacket, Thinsulate waterproof boots and a full coverage motorcycle helmet when boat riding. I'm usually toasty warm. :smile2: LOL

Oh yeah, some good waterproof gloves. LOL

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is a great post and may save someones life. Good cold weather gear is no joke, and should be respected. I can't take the cold anymore and have to admit that I like to stay close to the fire when its real cold.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Walls insulated bibs,walls coat,and park close to the rods so I can sit in the truck with the heater and watch the rods.:wink: