Cold weather fishing.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bootshowl, Oct 18, 2006.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Me and my buds just seem to put the tackle up and get with the hunting instead of fishing when the seasons change. Read enough post here to realize you zealots toss the line in until the water freezes. Any tips on cold weather fishing techniques. Anything different? Fish more on the top than the bottom or is the only difference you the fisherman are cold ? Thought I'd wear some hunter orange with all the projectiles....coffee and cocoa instead of beer.....Oh my gosh I may be a zealot too!

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Boots, biggest thing about winter fishing. Dress warm and in layers. If you fish on shore, build a fire, if you fish on a boat, DON'T build a fire!!!!

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I must only be a semi-zealot 'cause unfortunantly, this weekend will most likely be my last trip out this year. Call me a wuss, but it's getting too cold for me. Just right for those big ol' blues though.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Biggest change for me is casting for cats while the sun is still high in the sky. Plus the boots,gloves, handkerchiefs, hot coffee......etc. Sometimes I pull the truck as close to my poles as I can get and sit in there with the heater running to watch them. LOL I have my best luck on cut shad, On my river the channels will come through in waves. You'll get bites for 45 minutes then have to wait 2 hours then they come back through again. This is under a low head dam so it won't be the same on a deep, mid river hole.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    dress warm and dont be scared to fish the deepest water you can find. seems the colder the better the big blues feed.

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    im the same way put it up for the winter but im going to try it this year its going to be cold but if i hook one of them big blues it will be worth it for me