Cold weather fishing and floatation devices

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by opposum, Jan 18, 2010.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    When cold weather fishing you need to take extra precautions. A couple of years ago I purchased a float coat from Bass Pro. The jacket is very warm and is an approved floatation device. I purchased this because if you fall in the water this time of year you are in trouble with out it. Experienced swimmer or not you are in trouble without something. How many of you wear some sort of floatation this time of year? If not....why?

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That was a cool jacket! How much do they run on average? I don't wear one ever but probably should, especially when out at night or in cold weather. Chris

3. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i never wear a life jacket this time of year. why? mostly because im usually laying in a field this time of year and in no danger of drowning:laugh1:

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Good post David! I'm curious to see the posts.

I usually fish with a friend in hopes that if I fall in he'll help me. I've falling in on the Missouri but only with the help of budweiser....needless to say I keep those in the cooler now til we're done fishing!

Be safe out there!!

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I always wear a life jacket if the motor is running. If i fall out of a 21 ft. skeeter, i had no business fishing or being in a boat period. Lots of times when we shut down to fish i'll just grab my rod and start fishin, forgetting i even have it own. The water temp was 38 at tablerock saturday so it's not gonna save my life, but it will make the water patrols job of finding me easier and ya'll can get on back to the stove.:bulgy-eyes:

6. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I fish soley on the Missouri River and I give it all the respect it deserves.
    If I am moveing the jacket is on.
    If its summer and I am anchored its off.
    I am and old fat man and I know my limatations.
    my wife is my fishing partner and lets say shes an ---well lets say we are the same age and she feels the same way.
    No matter what you wear what you drink or what you do just be careful. Starting to like you guys and don't want to lose any of you.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I usually never wear one. No excuse. Everyone needs to be safe. This is a good post David and hopefully it will get everyone to start thinking about it and wearing a life jacket includeing me.

Tom

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Been pretty serious about this for the last year and a half. Lifejacket's on when the big motor's on, or when I'm doing anchor duty.

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a XL float coat for sell for $75 plus shipping. it was originally $235. It is too hot to wear in the carolinas.

Attached Files:

10. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just looked on the Bass Pro and Cabela's web site. I couldn't find the particular jacket that I'd purchased. If I remember correctly it cost about $150.

During the times that I've fished in the winter throwing a shad net pulling the anchor etc. etc. ice builds up on the floor of the boat. This makes it easier to take an unexpected swim. That is why I try to wear the float coat.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    With the water temps being barely above freezing...the life jacket will make it easier for someone to find your body...unless you're really close to the boat ramp and get out of the water really fast!