Cold weather catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bull72chvy, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Bull72chvy

Bull72chvy New Member

State:
    Albany,Ohio
    Just curious about the weather affecting the catfishing.I usually quit catfishing in the fall.Does anyone have any luck in colder temperatures like 50 degrees fh and below?If so, is there anything you change about the way your fishing?, or should I fish daytimes instead of nights? Thanks, JJ

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    In the winter, look for deep holes that will have catfish stacked in them. It's easier with a boat and a fishfinder. There is a lot of information on winter catfishing, read some of the other threads, you'll learn some more tips.

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I prefer the winter for big Blues, and target deep holes. I fish in the day during winter, only because it gets so dang cold at night.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Bull72chvy,

You will still get them the the Fall & Winter, so don't stop fishing for them. It's just like the fellows said - just look for them in deep holes. The bites are not as quick because of the cooler water - but when you get on them, "Look Out" . :0a5:

Take it easy,
    Bert :cool:

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    I dont start going after whiskerfish till the fall and I can assure you the best is yet to come. Hang in there and you'll do fine.

6. bigal1

bigal1 New Member

State:
    huntsville alabama
    i would suggest fishin in deeper areas i havnt tried catfishin in the winter a whole lot but when i did it was in some deep holes and i did have some luck

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    best bet is to target the blues or channels. Flatheads pretty much shut down when the water temp gets below 50 degrees. Im not saying that they can not be caught just that the flatheads prefer warmer water temps and the action will be slow.

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Everybody always talks about fishing deep in the winter, but I target these holes year round and there always seems to be an abundance of good cats in the deeper water at all times here in Ky on the Ohio and Ky rivers. Although the deepest water that I fish is around 50 to 60 feet. Are you guys talking about deeper water than that? Vern

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey vlparrish,

No......I think that they are talking about deeper water that you would fish in the warmer months.

But you know how the old saying goes ----- "If it ain't broke / you don't try to fix it" lol :happy:

and by looking at the photo in your profile ---- "it ain't broke buddy" , your doing just fine. :D

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool: