Cold weather camping

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gargoil77, Mar 21, 2006.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Going camping this weekend and it's suppose to get down in the 20's at night. I don't mind the cold but who I'm going with might. She has never camped in cold weather. Can anyone tell me a good heater for the tent?

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Do a search for mr heater! It's the most popular. There is another one that I like better but it cost more. It burns the fuel outside of tent and blows hot air in! A search for tent heaters should show you both kinds!

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Thanks Delta. I was really close to buying one of them Mr. heaters but didn't know if the small one would be good enuff for a 4 man tent. The one that I want is the bigger one but the funds are low. Should've gotten it when Lowes had them on clearance for $60 something.
    I just remember I started this post a while back. The one you talked about is a little pricey and worth it, but not this trip.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Brother...check out Harbor Freight on the internet. 15,000 BTU Infared LP gas heater with ODS. They have one for $34.99 and it has an oxygen depletion sensor that shuts down the heater when oxygen reaches unsafe levels, Automatic shut off if the heater gets too hot.
    You can google Harbor Freight or PM me for the link.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Coleman makes one just for the tents. It takes a propane bottle and works great. A friend mine has one and we have used it camping.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys, I do a fair amount of backpacking and while I have the equipment to do coldweather camping, I prefer doing it when warmer. Anyways, the fact that you have a 4 man tent is a problem since 2 folks in a 2 man tent would keep that tent pretty warm if its a quality tent. but 2 folks in a 4 man tent is like waiting for the heater to warm up a school bus vs a small mini cab on a pick up. I suggest sleeping in good poly pro long jons, having an, at least 3 season bag, perhaps if your guest is of the opposite sex, making two sleeping bags into 1 big one, that is always fun.( Zipping them together)
    Another good idea is to heat hot water , pour into bottle before bed and keep it in the sleeping bag on her feet, that will keep her warm all night. I might suggest late night hot chocolate before bed and you getting up early , starting the fire and making coffee to brighten the mood. Heck she might even enjoy the trip if you do all the work.:rolleyes:

As far as in tent heaters, Im awful leary about those so I cant help you there.
    I do own a pop up camper that has a built in heater in it, and it comes in quite handy for snow camping when Im steelhead fishing or salmon fishing in the late fall or early spring.

I hope that helps
    Salmonid

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I like the sleeping bag idea, by making one...lol

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Good luck and stay warm. Be sure to keep anything that might catch fire away from the heater.
    We are also going camping this weekend. But I hope to keep the heat on in the camper.
    Pete

9. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I appreciate all the posts guys. The person is of the opposite sex, but my army issue bag won't zip up w/ hers.:sad: Oh she'll have it made. I'm going one or two days before her and I'm doing all the cooking. Using my new TSS I recieved last week. Pics will be coming.
    Options are open w/ the heater. I'll check them out.