Cold weather boat question?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    This is for those of you that live up "North" where it gets plenty cold. I had my boat out yesterday in a monsoon and its totally soaked, now i come home and store it in the garage and wondered how you guys store your boats when they are soaking wet when its around 30-40 degrees? Id like to get it dry before the deep freezes show up but it is supposed to rain /snow all week so letting it air dry outside is not an option. I have it tilted as far up as possible and have the motor all the way down to drain and had a powerful barn fan on it for a while ( pointed from front to back to help the carpets drain out) but at this rate, it will take weeks to get it dry. Any ideas??

Thanks, Salmonid

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's not going to mildew in this cold weather, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Get rid of the carpet and you'll have even less to worry about...

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have to agree with Mr.T, and what you have already done, I just crank up front and what drains, does and then well it just sets till next trip.

4. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    You can store it at my place...it will be 85 degreezzzzz wed, and we haven't seen rain since Noah set sail.

5. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    Did you try using a wet/dry vac over the carpet?

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Mark put a small box fan on it,just let it blow on it for 3-4 days and the boat will dry out.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    If you are worried about it I would possible try a wet dry vac like already posted or if you have aces to compressed air. That might help to speed dry it a little. A fan will do the trick over a couple of days it should be fine. Just make sure you don't have standing water anywhere in the boat that could freeze. Livewells, floor compartments, main bottom / back. Also prop open the compartments to allow more circulation and keep down any smell. I do that all year, wet or not.

Hope this helps.
    David

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I personally dont worry about it. My boat was sitting outside uncovered last week when it snowed . All I do is tilt the bow up, put the motor all the way down and make sure the plug is out. If you're boat is in the garage and you're worried about it, one of those "Jet" or "Salamander" type heaters would dry that boat out quick. Just dont point it directly at the boat, or you may have to repaint.

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I took my boat up to the carwash a couple months back. And I had the carpet completely soaked. So I took the long way home hoping it would help dry it out since I was fishing the next morning. Well, it ended up being a really cool night. And the next morning I went out and the carpet was still just as wet as the night before. So I broke out the shop vac and was able to pull like 12 gallons of water out of the carpet. :eek:oooh: It dried out rather quickly after getting rid of all the excess water.:smile2::smile2:

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    send it to me in az and i'll take care of it in this dry climate. (nest to mine, that is) :smile2: the shop vac is best answer.. next best is keep it covered and don't use and we all know that don't work.
    gary

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tilt it up, put a bucket under the drain hole, and leave it alone. Later Andy

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I wash and clean my boat after each use at a good carwash.WHen I'm done washing I use the powerful vacumns to get the water out of every nook and cranny including the baitwell,livewell bilge etc.Tilt it up,blow air on it if you can and it will be fine.I dont have carpet but those vacumns will suck most of the water out .I dont like water in anything when stored even in the summer.:big_smile:Make sure all the water is out of the engine before it freezes.

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I never worry much about the boat ,just make sure your motor is down so it can drain the water out ,keep your batteries charge ( a fully charged batterie will last all winter) and add stabilizer to you fuel no problems.

14. Equinox

Equinox New Member

State:
    Sweden
    I just drain it.Theres nothing else to do.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Let me introduce you to my little friend.."BERTHA" Id be heating the house with her but insurance would kill me so to keep the plumbing up in my garage......

Attached Files: