Cold weather Bigger Cats?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 15, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here in iowa we have been hit with colder weather and now we are catching bigger cats!! Do you have same results?

2. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    When it comes to the Blues around here, I usually catch bigger ones in the colder weather.

3. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I don't know if there is any science to it but I do seem to catch bigger blues during the cooler weather months.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's what everyone tells me. I don't handle the cold as well as I did when I was a pup, but I'm not hanging the rods up yet!

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    kkyootee, I have the same results. Since the cool down last weekend I have been landing big blues. I got my PB this week, a 60 pounder. Vern

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Some folks will argue with you on whether bigger cats come in colder weather. One of the BOC members "Price" swears by warmer weather. All of my personal bests have come in spring/summer months, but the majority of my big fish have come in colder months.

My belief is that the bigger fish in lakes tend to congregate up rivers in narrower water in the winter, thus making them easier to target. The reduced oxygen level in summer makes the normal patterns we fish much less effective, so if you do not adapt to these changes you are left not catching fish.

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I went out on a fishing outing with some of the BOC members last night and most all of them were talking about catching the big blues in the cold weather or in the winter. This will be the first time for me trying it. But if the guys last night were saying it I would say its probably true.