Cold weather Bank Fishing Tips

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by DANZIG, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Here are a few I wrote this for a thread that I have since lost, (this darn board is too big sometimes!) But it really belongs here anyway.

Add yours!!

Staying warm is the most important thing. Aside from hypothermia, it's just no fun if you are not at least half comfortable. Build a fire, and/or have some hand warmer pouches, the gloves have to come off every now and again, your hands and fingers will get really cold.
    A "hand warmer" down your shirt can do wonders toward keep you warm.

Full covering for your head.(frozen ears suck)
    "Wrap around" sun glasses to keep the cold wind out of your eyes.
    Decent boots and warm socks, it will be slick and cold.

Dress warmer than you think you will need. You will probably not be moving around much.

Don't forget the "ChapStick" or some such, The cold and wind can be rough on your lips!

I don't have any fancy cold weather clothes so I pile on the layers. If you do too, be very careful about NOT falling in. You will sink like a rock.

Some of that alcohol gel hand cleaner (keep away from the fire till it drys!) washing slime and bait off your hands in the cold water is not pleasant. ( you already have a fishing towel, right?)

Remember to keep your bait from freezing! I use a back(day) pack for my tackle, most times keeping the bait in it is enough,, hand warmer pouches or keep it near (not too near) the fire.
    Speaking of bait,, wether catching or buying,,it can be tough to find in the winter, lay some in before the winter sets in.

Leave the braided line at home, it will freeze on the spool. If you think you will need the "rope", spraying it with silicone may help.

I do very little "prospecting" in the winter, fish are fickle enough in the winter, If I am going to be out in the cold I like to hit the "high percentage" spots. Dams, waterfalls, known holes.

Take a little food and drink to keep the "inner fires" stoked. Just a little, "natures call" can get a bit chilly if you have to drop your drawers!.

Mind where you park your vehicle! Finding out you are stuck when you go to leave is no fun.
    A full tank of fuel is never a bad idea.

And if you, like me, enjoy an adult beverage when you fish, remember that when you get the vehicle warmed up to leave,, that buzz is going to increase a bit as you get warm. Stay safe and out of jail! :big_smile:

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    all good tips and may i add get a locking gas cap since you are more than likely out and alone as far as other vehicles go the last thing you need is someone coming along and siphoning your gas. happened to a friend of mine last spring and as manlaw states when a friend calls you at 0200 to pick him up its no questions asked.

3. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Great advice, all but the adult beverage:big_smile: sometime we make bad decisions with them and freezing temps ain't no time to do that:wink:

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "all but the adult beverage"

I was not "advocating" but the reality is, many including myself, do. IF you do, you need to be aware the buzz will kick in as you warm up.

"and as manlaw states when a friend calls you at 0200 to pick him up its no questions asked."

Yes you do! I been on both sides of that fence many times.
    But there are two questions,, "Where are you at? and "Do I need to bring a gun?" :wink::smile2:

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    For that winter time fire building, a mix of used motor oil (two parts) and gasoline (one part) is handy and cheap. The gas gets it going and the oil burns longer. I tote it in an old quart oil bottle.

And don't forget that the plastic trash on the bank will get damp wood going also. Clean the bank and get warm too! Skip the tires, they stink and make a mess.

If you use a "bic" type lighter remember to keep it warm or it will burn poorly, if at all.

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    yeah you do have to ask those 2 questions lol

another cheap firestarter is vaseline remember its generic name is petroleum jelly and while you're at the gas station grabbing your coffee grab a few packs of non dairy creamer in case you didn't know its flammable :wink:

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Dress in layers Take an extra pair of socks remember your feet sweat if your feet starts geting cold change them you can then dry them by the fire

8. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    All great tips D, remember to make sure you CAN burn where you are fishing, otherwise the PoPo will make your fishing trip Expensive.

Chapstick is your friend when fishing in the cold.

As far as Braided Line & Cold weather- 3-4 months where it get below freezing in Washington state, I can tell you that if you spray your Braid with Silicone it will prevent the line from freezing on the reel. I use Liquid Wrench Silicone (Red Can), DO NOT USE WD-40 or PENETRATING OIL, it will eat your line in a few months. Spray your spool till it is totally soaked & dripping, Let it sit an hour & do it again. Since Braided line is a braid of 6-10 smaller lines it has micro gaps which fill with water, the Silicone fills those gaps & prevents the line from soaking up water thus preventing it from freezing, this will also make the line float a bit so if you bobber fish it makes tending your slack easier.

Layers....Layers.....Layers.....You can always cool down quickly by removing a jacket but it takes hours to get warm once you get real cold.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Fires...... places rocks around the edge to protect your boots. When your freezing your gonna be standing close at times and you don't realize how hot your boots will get. The heat will separate the souls or any other rubber part, and then then aren't water proof anymore...not good and a waist of $$$.

Socks............gotta have liner socks under your thicker socks.....NO MATTER WHAT !!!!! If ya don't know anything about them, research them, you will not regret it.

Cameras.......ya might wanna put some extra batteries in yer pocket to keep them warm. Cold temps cause them to fail and you don't wanna miss out on the pics if your a Cpr'er.

Gloves......I like to use those cheap brown gloves. They aren't very warm but I bring about 4 pair and change them out as needed. If things get bad stick a toasti toes inside your glove, I hardly ever get the hand warmer ones.

Toasti Toes........Buy them suckers up at the end of the season. They will be at Wal-Mart for 1/2the price or less. They will have numerous case of them to get rid of, I do it every year. Even being a year old they seem to do fine.

Neck and head...... I have a hood thing that goes over my head/neck, and stops at my shoulders. I wont fish without it anymore. Its unreal how much warmer you are compared to just wearing a hat....major difference !!!

Jacket...... I don't have a good one so I layer up . One thing I found is that wearing a light windbreaker under your last layer will cut out any breeze that works its way in. It is also slippery and it helps your last jacket slide right on with ease.

Well that's a few, good thread, thx for posting it.

-Jim-

Oh, I need help......does someone have a trick for keeping your socks up, LOL. Man I hate that !!!!!!

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Great point on the fires, Jim!!

It was not winter, and I was not fishing,, but I actually caught fire once. Back to the fire, drinking and talking,, my leg started to get real warm, looked down and my britches leg was blazing. A painful story for another place.
    But think about this, if I had been layered for the cold, I might not have noticed until I was a torch!

11. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Try using rubberbands around the tops of the socks. They work well for me.

12. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Gloves are ESSENTIAL, I have a pair I picked up for $20 that have all the fingers 3/4 length and have a mitten top that folds over (tucked in on the back of the glove when not in use) and a thumb cap & they are lined with heavy fleece, I love em. Them are for the real cold months, other wise I get 10 pairs of the cotton gloves at the $ store and cut the tops off the first 2 fingers & thumb on 5 pair, then if I have to or gets too cold I can put an uncut pair on over them. I also have a few pair of the cheap cotton work gloves that have the rubber coating on the palm side. I do love the big tacle bags-! for my gear & 1 for my gloves, towels, stringers, glowsticks, bells, TP (in a ziplock baggy-hate soggy TP might as well not wipe then), and other Misc Crap.

13. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    shirt stays bud

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  14. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If your feet have a tendency to sweat, put a little table salt in your shoes, it will soak up quite a bit of the moister. If you do this for awhile eventually your feet won't hardly sweat. An old back hill remedy from my dad and it worked for me.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are good tips.

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio

dont forget, how much is your bail... been there also... although like foxworthy says a really good friend is going to be sitting in there with ya...haha

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have never heard that before, but im sure it will work. one thing i used to teach the guys in my backpacking class is to get a pair of thing church socks, the thin black or white ones. usually they are made of a polyblend that will wick away the moisture and keep your feet warmer and help prevent blisters. if you can afford it or just want them, they sell sock liners. they are all made of polypropylene but the cheap dress socks work pretty good, i have used both.

one of the big things i haven't seen here is: whenever possible fish with a buddy. if with or w/out, tell someone where you are going and a time you should be home or a time to expect a phone call or be worried. it could save your life if you are in trouble.

i always tell someone where i am going and a time to get worried if they havent heard from me. if you have fallen and injured yourself the difference in survival could lie in this information. if for no reason other than there are less people around and the chances of getting found quickly are a lot less.

18. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If you get cold feet a lot take a piece of that foamboard insulation to put your feet on, they won't get cold.

19. festus

festus New Member

I'm a redhead and have always heard that redheads and blondes can take the cold much better than darker haired darker compelexioned people. It has been said that blondes and redheads were more prevalent in northern Europe than in the southern areas. I'm not carrot colored redhead and I tan well. One way to get used to the cold is keep your thermostat in the house set at 65 degrees. That will help tremendously on your heat bill. This winter has been one of the coldest on record, and I haven't even had a pair of coveralls on yet. I put on long johns, blue jeans, a long sleeve shirt, but not very heavy. I've been fishing the last two days and took my gloves off in no time. And I wear cotton socks and Gore-Tex boots.

Defrost your car windows well ahead of time, then shut off your vehicle before going out. Don't wear a coat while you're traveling. Keep your car heater set at about 60 to 62 degrees. I crack all my windows about 2" to get used to the cold on your trip to the water. So by the time I arrive at my destination, I then put on my hat or tobaggon, gloves, and coat. You'll be amazed how much cold you can take this way.

Thursday morning when I arrived at the dam it was 21 degrees with no wind. I didn't put my coat on that day and we had a high of 52. Didn't even wear a hat or gloves. I get some funny comments like, "Aren't you cold?" Nah, I used to work in land surveying so I got used to being outside during the winter. As a matter of fact, trucking up mountainsides during the wintertime can sometimes get rather warm.

20. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A comment on the cold feet. In the military I learned to wear 2 pairs of socks... one pair of cotton socks followed by a top pair of dress socks. The cotton absorbs the moisture and the nylon wicks that moisture away.