Cold weather and pets.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by opposum, Jan 4, 2010.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    What do you do with your pets when the temperature gets cold?

When the temp gets in the lower teens I will bring the dogs into the basement at night and put them in a dog box and back outside for the day. My dog pen has a roof on it and I have placed metal and plywood on the north and west sides of the pen. When the temp gets much colder (0 degrees) I will bring them in at night and let them out first thing in the morning for about an hour then bring them back inside. I don't allow them in the house just the basement in a dog box. What do you do? Is there anything else you do to help them out? Thanks.

2. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My dogs are inside/outside dogs, so they stay out during the day, and at night we bring them in for a little bit, and then put them in their crate when its time to go to bed.

3. bwwwww

bwwwww New Member

State:
    mo
    My dog is an indoor dog. She doesn't know how good she has it. I keep trying to explain to her that Labradors are cold weather dogs and like being outdoors but she is having none of it. She is curled up in her bed by the radiator right now.

4. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    My black lab duck hunts and has hunted with temps in the low teens. She stayed outside the first night I got her at 20 months, but has lived in the house ever since. She stays on the first floor and basement, never 2nd floor where bedrooms are.
    But when I kept a dog outside, I'd go to the local feed store and buy a bale of prairie grass; grows wild out west. The advantage over straw is that it's solid core and fleas and such can't burrow in it. Fill her doghouse plum full of loose prairie grass and let the dog burrow out her own bed. Change it when it gets packed down. Several years ago, the prairie grass was only $4 a bale, might be a tad more now.

5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    well my wife has a shitzu in the house.i have 4 pits and a feist outside.i put cedar shavings in the dog houses an when it gets real cold i have mounted a light socket in each house,and they have heat lamps in them,the same lights used on a buffet to keep food warm,$7.00 apeice at wal-mart.they keep it toasty in the houses.