Cold weather and effects on food

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Oct 10, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    As cold weather moves in deer will stop feeding on grass which now has less than 3% protien they will concentrate on corn which has 8% protien and beans which typically run at 36%. Alfalfa-clover will still run 20-24% protien until first killing frost. As hunters we should also adjust to these cold weather feeding habits of our quarry. They will seek higher protien levels to maintain body heat.

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Good thing I got corn on one side and alfalfa on the other.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa

Now that is what I call a "honey hole" but is there water and cover close?

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Will, where are you getting your info on protein levels? I'm certainly not questioning you, I just want to learn more. The farm I hunt has several alfalfa fields and plant many hundreds of acres of corn and soybeans. I wasn't aware of the levels until you mentioned them. I think it's time to adjust strategies for where to set up at. LOL

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tom I got those percentages from being a animal nutrionist for feed company ya know the one you can play checkers on. I would make up custom feed based on ingriedants protien levels. I have also had my hay fields protien levels checked because I have horse and dairy people who buy my hay and they will pay a higher price if the protien is higher. I send a sample in to a lab it is also a good tool for me to be able to put down fertilizer. Just plain ol grass after a frost or after going to seed sometimes will have less than 3% protien. Hope that helps there are several sites you can visit. Deer are no different than cattle on needs to sustain heat, body condition and etc.