Cold weather adventure

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trophy Flathead Hunter, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    I'm going to try the white river for a few hours this afternoon. I caught 7 little bluegills to bring with me but hope to find some native bait fish. I'll keep the thread posted throughout my trip if I have signal. I'm finishing packing up and headed out soon!

2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Good Luck Jon. Keep your feet dry. haha

Brackish*Water likes this.

3. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Tom, I'm trying to keep it all dry!

So far nothing. It's really nice out, be better if the wind would calm down. I'm trying different areas seeing if I can find some active fish. I have two cutbaits out and been throwing out a small white twirly tail grub hoping for a skipjack. Might throw a redworm out on bottom for a sucker or something.

twaskom likes this.
  4. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Welp I'm back home! No fish but it was nice! I would have stayed longer but have other things to do today. 20191124_111032.jpg When I was leaving I saw this hanging up. Guess they are having a cleaning day at a few different sites. Thats pretty cool. If I didn't have to work I would join. 20191124_140343.jpg

5. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Jon, I can hear that water running over the dam.
    It is music to my ears.

6. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    man that is a pretty spot. I went bank fishing today (saltwater) speckled trout, artificial bait. one keeper and two undersize thrown back.

only one picture I found this little house in the rocks ha ha
    IMG_20191124_154641541.jpg

7. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I think I have been there before. How much lead did you use to hold the bottom. I have seen times 8 ounces wouldn't hold.

8. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    You have been there. It's a pretty popular spot. At times I could get 8oz to hold, sometimes I would have to recast. I was using 6 oz on my other one. I've become better at fishing this area this year, picking up things from guys I have ran into over the year. Little tips and tricks can make a big difference . I'm ready to go again!

eastforker likes this.
  9. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I would wear that spot out and the first few snags down river.

After awhile I gave up trying to hold bottom and focused on where my bait was going to and just cast there in the first place.

10. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I really like the idea of cleaning up the rivers and public areas. It irks me how many people not only don't care, but throw trash everywhere like is what is supposed to be done.

With that thought, I am not sure how serious those setting up this clean-up are when they schedule it in December in Indiana. And scheduling it for boaters to put their boats on the river when the cold water is so dangerous worries me.

Don't mis-understand me, Cleaning the river area is a great idea. Doing it during one of the coldest months of the year,,,,,,,not so good. .........Having people take boats on the River when the water is so cold it is dangerous isn't the best idea out there.

I hope everyone that decides to do a good thing stay safe.