Cold water shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Feb 13, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What do you guys think about this.

I have few spots on the scioto that when the river is way up the shad flock to like crazy, they are slack water areas.

The scioto is raging now, but the problem I have is the sahd are not in these areas when the water is cold, seems like anything above 60 degrees and they are in these high water slack areas by the millions.

But when the water is cold they are a no show.

I would think that they would want to get inot these areas to avoid the raging current even more with the cold water, but not here, not in these spots.

Any ideas why they only show up in these areas during warmer water?

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats weird because here on the Ohio those shad will get real thick in the shallows sometimes in water temps that are in the 30's. Especially when the river is crankin, I would think that would be the easiest time to get shad, but doesn't seem that way in your area??? Especially when you factor in that 9 times out of 10 that shallow slack water will be warmer most of the time..I actually saw surface temps in the 40's yesterday for the first time in a while, especially outside creek mouths. Really weird that it seems to be the opposite for you, got me stumped on that one..:eek:oooh:

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Maybe they spawn in those areas in the spring up there? Could be one explanation..

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dunno Jack, I have a river flooded irrigation pond that gets full of shad, it also has a draintile going underneath a road with a small drainage ditch. During highwater periods, I can go there any thrownet shad almost anytime during the year. I dunno how many of them are moving from the river then, but they always seem to move up in the moving water towards the culvert etc. I haven't had much luck thrownetting on the river here. I know the shad are here, but to just go out and hit eddys etc. have sucked for me! rollo

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jack
    Is it possible that you need to move up stream where the stream is flowing into the slack water before it gets to slack??? Just a Thought.