cold water flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by head hunter, Oct 23, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    will flatheads feed on shallow flats in 50 degree water at night ??? or,,stay in the hole to feed. or do they feed more during the day in cold water?:confused2:

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we get them in and near the holes during the day this time of year. i dont do much night fishing in fall/winter. also get more hits on cut baits than live when waters cold.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

1st off,Welcome to the BOC Randy!:0a25:.I don,t think it makes as much difference this time of year between day and night.If I were gonna still try it would definetly be deep though.Don,t think they,re gonna move too far away from those deep holes.

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    :0a25::0a25::0a25:stay deep,they're gonna bite slower and you'll have to work harder for them.and if you do go shallower stay real close to the deep water.the main thing in cold weather is patience,patience,and patience.

5. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanx for the info guys, and,,,to river scum,,,good luck on the halloween flat this year. keep them vids coming ,I check"em out all the time. along with vids from DTROFISHON.

6. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Welcome Randy, they just bite slow this time of the year but they got to eat so hang in there they will bite.

7. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    went out last wednesday, early morn, Mississippi river,,, caught my limit of ten in two and a half hours,,,, missed 6 or 7,,, two hung me up in rocks and broke me off,,,, water was 55 degrees,,, it was a GREAT day,,, I couldnt keep two poles in the water

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks brother, we gona try. lol

9. spencer8484

spencer8484 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    when you all say deep how deep are you talking about? the lake i fish in has a river channel running through it that bends real sharp and cuts down to about 75 feet in some places. our thermocline is much shallower than that most of the year so i am wondering how much time they ll spend below that layer on the bottom?

10. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I was about to ask this same thing. how deep is deep?

In my river, the water is about 15' deep with some holes being about 40'. Is 15' with cover deep enough to be considered "deep"? I know flatheads will feed sometimes as shallow as 3-4' in the summer.

11. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    when its cold i target 15 to 30 ft. according to where i'm fishing.

12. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    The lake I fish has the main hole by the dam thats 40 feet,,with some scatterd holes in channel ranging 20 to 30 feet. I've fished the deepest to the shallow water with the same result in cold water,,,no fish !! Not even a channel on cut bait

13. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
  14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It gets to a point it seems from a line from MO to KS to Il along the bottom of the states that the winter flathead bite just dont happen. I have only caught one in mid MO in Jan and that was bass fishen in a spring confluence. It is proven fact that fish above that line when the water hits 45 deg they seek wintering holes and go dormant till water temps hit 52 deg in spring. So if ya above that line after Nov hang it up till march, ya better off fishen for blues or deer hunting.

15. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy:give me some of that !!:big_smile: