Cold water catfishing - what catfish bait works?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by jayjay, Dec 28, 2005.

1. jayjay

jayjay New Member

any of you good old boys do any cold water fishing? if so where is a good place to go. what is a good bait. need all the hepl i can get .thanks a bunch . that in north carolina.

2. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i catch a lot bigger blue in the cold for some reason. i use eels for bait but you can catch them on other things. i fish mostly the cape fear river system. but i know jason has luck near neuse for them too. if need any info im me or call me . ok

3. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Joe, did you get my PM about the shad? Let me know when they start running, I would like to come down and mop up some for the freezer for bait. Email me at mmarcom@nc.rr.com instead of replying on here. I don't come on here much anymore.

Thanks, Mack from Smithfield

4. catfishbaits

catfishbaits New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've had quite a bit of luck in cold water for blues while fishing on the Neuse. I normally use cut mullet and have come out with a 50 lb blue in November a few years back.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Last week I just caught the two biggest Blues I have taken on Lake Wylie. Water temp was in the lower 50's and the air was a crisp 30 that morning. The first morning was an eight pounder and the next day a twelve. Not monsters by most standards, but they are my biggest fish on Wylie.

No difference on bait; cut shad and bream.

6. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Do what ya did this past summer to catch them,most of the bigger catfish i caught were in winter.They'll be more active in the winter after a couple warmer days.The fresher yer bait the better chance ya have.