Cold Water Catfishing Tips & Questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JDM2007, Oct 9, 2005.

1. JDM2007

JDM2007 New Member

Where do the cats go in cold water? To catch them will I have to hit the cat in the nose with the bait? What bait works best in cold weather?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont know. I never caught a cat in the fall or winter. I am going to try for some in this cool weather.

3. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    you can catch cats in cold water. you just got to find them by using your fishfinder if you have a boat. the best bait would be cut bait because stink baits stop working in cold water. you can catch a lot in the fall, just read some fall fishing threads around here.

4. bamaboy24

bamaboy24 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Al
    winter is by far the hardest season for catfishing. They usualy go to water anywhere from 25 to 40 feet. A good time during winter is after it rains and water is draining in the water making it muddy. I through a gob of worms where the water is draining.Good luck

5. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    "you can catch cats in cold water. you just got to find them by using your fishfinder if you have a boat. "

I couldn't agree more!
    Some of my best cattin has been done during the winter,is alot like bass fishin during the spawn..........They are all nice an plump!

If you have a fishfinder just look for a stack of fish symbols in a hole or along a ledge.Usually if you can find 1 channel there are many more with em.

Don't expect them to be as active as they been in the summer.They are a bit sluggish,until they rrealize they got a hook in their mouth!Most times they tend to suck on the bait and not pick it up and run.Keep an eye on your line and rod tips for any movement.
    Good Luck

6. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Read below,buttons seem to be sticking on my keyboard

7. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Was out tonightwater temp was 60 degrees water clarity was-chocolate milk alot of rain,8 days worth so water levels were very high with astrong current and lots and lots of wind,

No fish on a usually productive ledge but got back in the mouth of a creek out of the wind and got 8 channels,one 8 pounder 27 inches
    the rest were about 4-6 pounds.
    Mark got 1 21 inches for a total of 9

8. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Try the outflow channels of the turbine generators if you have any power plants in the areas.Always found them stacked up there when I lived in the northeast.The temperatures there are a lot warmer than the rest of the water.Hope this helps.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just try and remember the fish eat, particularly blues.They will try and find the warmest water which will be in the deeper holes in either lake or river.Coincidently that is where the baitfish also head.Find bait find fish.If you can find a warm water discharge from a power plant so much the better.Keep after them I have never seen a fish caught in the living room.

10. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    I have been still catching cats with 60 degree weather. Not as much though. Have luck at the warmest part of the day around noonish.

What temp do you guys think is too cold for catfishing? Freezing point ?:D

11. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Are you fishing from a boat or off the bank?

When the air temp gets below 40 degrees its too cold for me,can't sit out on the water and be comfortable long enough to enjoy the fishing when its that cold.
    For the fish it don't matter,they're gonna feed all winter otherwise they'll starve.Others who fish in the winter will agree,some of the best catfishing is during the winter.

During the colder months the surface temp may be in the 30's and40's but deeper water means warmer water temps and thats where the fish will be.If your in a boat with a fishfinder look for a hole with a fish in it,most times there are a dozen or so in one hole.
    If your fishing the bank its a little harder.Your best bet would be downstream from a powerplant. Other than that you more less will have to get the bait in front of their nose,I don't think they are out looking for food,rather stacked up in a hole waiting for food to pass by.

12. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    Thanks for the info.

I fish from shore for now. I should have a boat by spring though. :) Is it possible to icefish for cats? If so i'm getting an auger. :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't stay in the cold for bluegills. Not worth it.

I have the fox river, a water treatment lake that never freezes but never fished there yet, and a small lake that i walk to that i stock with baby channels.

13. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    I went out last night,was usin cut gills and live ones.No luck on the live gills but i pulled a very nice channel on a gill head,It was a giant channel(or a decent blue)donno never caught a blue ;) that i knew of,but it was under a bridge in a small river so i figured it wouldnt be a blue.This is my 1st time fishin fall and yes the cut bait has produced fish 4 me,maybe not in big numbers but size.last nights fish was my personal best,ill post pics when i get em developed

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  15. wisfisher

wisfisher New Member

State:
    Plainfield, WI
    We have a lot of dams on the Wisconsin River here and they all have a boat landing nearby. It's best during the day right up against the dam. As the water has created deep 30-40' scour holes from the water flow below the gates. Just drop your bait overboard and let it hit bottom. The cats stack up and winter over in these deep holes till ice-out. Of course, common sense is in order. You want to fish at times that the gates will not be open in the area you are fishing.
    Also, since we have lots of paper mills around here, there is always one or two warm water discharge tubes that attract cats all winter long, and can be fished from shore most of the time. Nice thing about this is that you don't need to bring along a cooler, take 'em off the hook and toss them in the snow to keep 'em chilled.

16. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    When It Cools Of I Have Found Fresh Cut To Do The Best Not Verry Big Pieces Though And Use About Half The Hook You Would In The Summer They Are A Little More Finiky The Guys Are Right Where To Find Them Deeper Calm Holes

17. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Great info guys, thanks! I am on the Missi river and the water temp is low 50's now. There is a large dam here, but it is always running water. Yesterday there were 11 or 12 gates open and the current is pretty fast. I just fished for white and hybrid bass, but cats are what I want. There is not a good deep hole on this long dam, but acres of 25' depth. There is about a 1/4 mile eddy created from the tailwater on the east (Illinois) side while the west is a barge gate and channel. Any thoughts?
    Also, tomorrow I thought I would try a couple of sloughs that are shallow, but hold shad. Tonight is supposed to go down to low 30's and I thought that might kill a bunch of shad and have them floating into the river. Perhaps there will be some action at the mouth where there is a 25' hole.
    Finally, the shutes off of the main river are a bit shallow (2 to 12' average), but there are dikes here that creat holes 25 to 30' deep. I have not done too well in these holes this summer, but it seems that they may focus the local fish. The flats above and below should warm in the daytime sun. I would appreciate your thoughts on these spots and the approach. One of the holes has a 40 to 50 yard eddy and I have tried floating in my boat to jig with cut bait around the hole. Thanks, Hannibal Mike

18. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    Thanks whistler :)

How much does ice equipment cost around? Would a portable eagle fish finder work in ice cold water fine?

And did you use the short ice fishing poles to fish?

Still amazed that its possible.

19. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Well, the creek did not have any dead shad like I thought and the shute did not produce anything on the low side of the dike (30' deep), but I was jigging with 1/2 oz lead head tipped with a 2" minnow and caught a couple of flats in the eddy water below the dike beside the dam. The first was about 3 lbs, but the second was 12+! I was using a light graphite rod and small reel with 10 lb line (I was thinking walleye more than cats). I had caught a few white bass in shallower water and had that frame of mind. Anyway, I thought I had snagged a rock and it took awhile to coax him to the top. That was fun on this mid November day on the Missi. Hannibal Mike