Cold Water catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by CHAVEZ CHAVEZ, Sep 14, 2007.

1. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    well fella's i've never really fished for cats in the winter or fall time , so my Question to y'all is .
    do i still use live/cut bait ?
    or use stink bait ?
    should i fish on top bobber style ? or off the bottom ?
    in the deepest part or shallow ?
    mind you this lake , pond , it's noth'n huge just a local spot i go to .
    the biggest channel i seen was a 22'pounder caught off crawlers .also this body of water freezes over can you still fish for cats this time of year ? i'm sure i think of more stuff later thanx's in advance

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have caught many channels in late November to early December with live minnows. Stinkbaits work best for me in the warmer weather months.:0a26:

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Any luck with liver in the fall months??

Tom

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    this will be the first yr fish'n for cats this late in the yr . i'm usally hunt'n for some'thn so iwant to try this winter to see what will be like.
    wish we had cats like y'all those fish are huge the only fish we have that are huge are lake trout .

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I usually hit the lakes when I am not deer hunting durring the winter months. I will find a deep spot next to the dam and just drift the deep water using cut bait. Up until about the second week of December. I have not caught many this way but have caught some bigger channel cats doing this. It is good to drift the deep because durring the winter months the catfish are about like a hybernating bear. You almost half to run the bait over their head to get them to bite.
    :wink:

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've never really used chicken livers.

7. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I use cut bait all winter and fish the deep water. I usually do pretty good on the blues and channels all the way through winter. I usually fish off the bottom through the winter too.

8. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I would agree that deper holes and slow fis the bait. I use beef liver and also cut sucker.. just have the patients for the cat to bite. they do tend to get a litttle lathargic as it gets colder..