Cold water catfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by drpepper, Oct 26, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Shane and I give it another shot again tonight in pursuit of cold water flatties... we hovered over a 16' wintering hole and fished straight down around a snag "jigging" cut crappie and live- medium sized shiners and chubs caught earlier with a cast net. We struck-out catching a monster Flattie- but a tiny cold water flattie was caught by yours truely.... and Shane Macked a nice 13.4 lb Channel... heres a few pics....

Attached Files:

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hell at least your still getting flatheads.....the water here has dropped way to low for the flatheads to bite....

glad to hear people are still fishing.....how cold is the water there???

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When we left the water it was 50.... really not too bad, but, that little flattie didn't have much fight in him... even for it's size... the waters have actually warmed up some over ther last couple days.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    BTW, normally I wouldn't have posted this little flattie... but any flattie I catch in cold water like this, I'm gonna post 'em.... even if they're 3 inches long lol

5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hey its a flathead thats all that counts....that is a feat in cold waters thats for sure....

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats awesome bill that u were able to catch that flattie. and thats one helluva channel! remember...channels bite all year round. so u should fish all year round in the hopes that big ole sluggish flattie will bite :big_smile:

7. rjb

rjb New Member

State:
    mo
    nice

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice size channel cat guys:wink: keep trying keep trying!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  9. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Very nice channel cat Bill. It is supposed to be pretty nice almost all week. If you can deal with the rain.

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice job guys! Fullstringer & I were talking about giving the coldwater flatties a try this winter...but we never found a whole that we would consider a good wintering hole!

11. The Catfish Cowboy

The Catfish Cowboy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is one heck of a channel you all got there. We got a good average down here about 7 to 8 pounds.

12. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice to see Bill, you ever go back to TC to hit them flatties yet?
    And its nice to see Shane takin better photos this time. haha

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just wonder what you're looking for in a wintering hole? Are you guys able to boat from one riff to the other?
    The stretch I fish has riffs that are only inches deep that I'm assuming would "trap" flatties between them and cause them to winter in the deepest hole(s) between those riffs what do you think?

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My intentions are for me and Shane to give TC a shot at least once each winter month for flatties. I'm gonna have to push myself though - I really don't like to freeze lol. yeah Shane gettin' lots of practice takin' pictures of all those monster cats I've been catchin' :roll_eyes: lmao!

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    bill, try trot lines to limit your time in the cold and still gather info on the cold months:wink:

yes Matt, please enlighten us! i have a few holes i though were wintering holes but couldnt feel a thing when probed. i felt around with sinker and baited treble hook a couple years ago. lol i never felt anything even close to soft flesh.

16. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for the story Bill. Its nice to see WRBC still lives!!!!

17. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana

Thats what i was talkin about bill, the last post had photos of him not even lookin at that camera, i see he's back to his rare form again with them faces. lmao

18. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying....but studies show that those flatties can & do MOVE when they want to. We had troubles with some riffles but I think even the bigger FHC could make it through. The deepest whole we found was 7-9 feet. Even up where Tim (Riverscum) fishes the holes seem to be 7-8 feet but there's still a few big holes that seem like they would be obvious wintering holes. Obviously I could be dead wrong.

I guess depth is relative. I suppose the only way to find out is for me & Andy to bundle up & go fishing.

19. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    bill with your shallow water just get an under water camera and take it with you. and when you find all of the flatties on top of each other, you know to drop your line there :smile2:

20. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    ...been thinking about that...