Cold water bass lures

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Ice-Berg, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    What's your go to lures when the water temp. dips below 50?

2. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci
    I like yum's crayfish imitation lures. Soft jerked on the bottom with a slow retrieve.

3. stinkbaiters

stinkbaiters New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey Iceberg I ususlly use a caralina rigged salamander(soft plastic) or a 4-6 inch gulp soft plastic worm with a twister tail. Cast it out and retrieve super slow, every so often give it a little jerk and let it fall back to the bottom. Its the fall back to the bottom that causes the strikes. Don't expect a monster hit like in summer, he may just pull at it so give him a chance to gulp it before you set the hook. Good Luck.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jig and Pig (porkrind) will catch you larger and morefish. I normally use Black/Blue 1/4 to 3/8 oz size. #11 Pork Frog

In the Spring you might want to add a Jerk Bait (Lucky Strike) at this temperature level.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use texas rigged plastic worm, I have luck with that..

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

small tube baits on a jig head fished real real slow. Thats still to fast slow down. jig and pigs and creature baits worked real slow are another of my choices.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i've only tried fishing when its that cold a couple of times and a fast moving crankbait is what brought them in for me. the funny thing is that they all bit close to shore.

8. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I'd have said the exact same..except I go with Rouge jerk baits.

9. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    depending on where im at i usually throw either a crankbait or a senko mainly around rock points and other rock formations that will hold heat

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Purple color pastic worm, works year round. :lol:

11. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anything thats slow, plastics with little or no weight that can stay in front of the fish for a while and have a slow fall and presentation, jigs can work well too... Thing is in cold water bass won't waste more energy chasing prey than they can gain by eating it so they won't chase a spinnerbait or crankbait. You need something to fish slow and keep in a close strike zone to the fish for as long as you can, scents will help to b/c with it being fished slow the bass will likely come up and inspect it closely, a good scent can trigger a lot more strikes than not using any...

12. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I've always heard that in cold water, the bass arent necessarily moving slower, thier metabolism slows down so therefore their appetite slows, so they dont eat near as much. I've had em' hit rippin', deep-diving crankbaits through cover before in Jan, but the crankbaits had to be smaller size. I've caught a few on Rat-L-Trap minis along rock drop offs as well. I must say, plastic worms have always been my favorite thing to use, not just in the winter, but all year round.