Cold snap & fishing in Missouri?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Wonder what this cold front is going to do to the fishing up on Truman? Thought I'd head out on Saturday and Sunday in the afternoon and try to find some crappie - the reports say they're in the shallows in the late afternoon, but I wonder if this cold weather will scatter them or drive them deep again?

Also wonder if it's worth the effort to drift for blues this weekend? Have to find some shad first but think we'll give it a try if we can...

Started to go out this afternoon over to Longview Lake - it was 76 degrees when I left Lee's Summit and 61 and gusty by the time I drove 6 miles over to the lake. So I turned around and came home...

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks Wolfie - if the wind isn't too bad on Saturday afternoon, I'm going. Just hate trying to fight the wind though.

Pressure bottomed out here at about 6am Friday morning and has been climbing steadily since - up about .7 inches from the bottom. Guess that's a good thing.

3. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I just live with the wind in Kansas, but it does make things interesting. I have fished the last three weekends and have not seen the fish change patterns much do to the rain. I think they dont bite as readily, but still bite. The cats are really slow now, but the other species are getting steadily more active.

Good luck

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Well, not a crappie to be found. Talked to several bank fishermen at various places near G14 on Truman and nobody was catching any at all. We spent an hour or so back in a nice deep cove that should have been warm but there was no difference in the main lake water temp and back in the cove.

And I can also report that it's not quite time to drift for blues yet -- we worked everywhere from 50 ft to 10 ft for about 4 hours and all I got was one little pudgy blue cat that was obviously stuffed with eggs.

On the bright side, it took just 4 throws of the cast net to get plenty of shad for the day's fishing from the Windsor city lake... :)

Going to head out again on Sunday afternoon - this time over around KK Island - never drifted there before so want to check it out. Not expecting to catch anything, but if we do, that'll be a nice bonus...

5. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty the temp needs to be above 60 before you can do any real damage drifting. The only place I've had success is where the water temp was above 63(drifting wise that is). The lower end of Truman is going to be naturally cooler than the upper end towards Clinton. Much like LOZ temps the upper end is much warmer than the lower end. Good luck and glad your still here.

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Mr t ,How are you setting your poles up for drifting?I learned from big magic ,I use the smallest pencil sinker you can get away with then a swivel 3 foot leader ,6 to 8 circle with a bobber 6 inches from the hook

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hi Robert -- I'm setting up pretty much the same way. I use "bottom bouncer" rigs instead of a pencil sinker on some of my rods, on the others I use a walking sinker just above a snap swivel. Otherwise it's pretty much the same. I use Daiichi circle chunk light hooks, 5/0 or so.

Wonder if we'd do any good drifting a few miles below the dam? I've got a map so guess it's just a matter of finding a good-looking spot.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Went out and drifted some more today (even though the water's not warm enough!) -- wasn't a total loss, and my 8-year-old son caught a personal best, just under 7 lbs. Still not much biting and very few fish showing on the sonar.

If the weather holds out, I'm planning to go down on Thursday afternoon and chase some crappie - the water should be good and warm back in the coves by then. Hope they're not all done spawning by the time I get there. Would be just my luck if they were...

Here's a picture of the boy and his fish...

9. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Hey T what was then water temp ,I want to get down there when the shad are spawning ,to feel up the freezer

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Water temp was about 58 on the main lake and just hitting 60 in a couple of coves. Way back in the shallows, it was around 62 or so.

A couple of days of this warm weather and the whole lake should pop up over 60 or so.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I was showing 59 average surface temp. on saturday.
    It was 80+ out there today and forcast says possible 90 by friday.
    I'm takeing all of next week off, and will be ~Gone Fishin~

Sea you out there.....