Cold River Channel cat question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Everywhere I keep reading says that winter channels go to the deepest holes and hang out all winter but between some of us here in the SW Ohio area, ( Dinkbuster, Mellon,myself) we seem to catch more channels all winter in shallow areas and wondered what you guys in the other parts of the state have found on your home waters?

We seem to find them in water as shallow as 2 ft and up to about 7-8 feet deep, once we get deeper then that, bites are very few and far between. The GMR in this area has several holes close to 20 ft deep but if the fish were there, they would be stacked in there like firewood and it just seems they are not there. (even in summer or winter) The fish we find are usually near wood structures and still in the current just like in the Summer and scattered, typically 1 here, then 1 there, never find them bunched in one place. I might add that fishing is better when the river is up a bit vs no current at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?? besides what you read somewhere :roll_eyes:

At what temparature do they change habitats if they do? We are getting them now in the low 40's.

Thanks for your input!
    Salmonid

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I've had mixed results. I am finding them all over, both shallow and deep. That said, the water is too high right now and I haven't been out in 2 weeks.
    I haven't found them in less than 6 feet though.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mark, i catch channels in the same wintering holes that i catch flats in. with that said, the holes i fish vary in depth mostly 15-30 ft. in depth. these fish don't seem to stack up with the flats though. if the flats are in the deepest areas or towards the tail of the hole, the channels are towards the head of it. i have also found that it seems the deeper the hole the bigger the channels i catch in the winter. i don't know if this is a coincedence? i fish one hole that is around 30ft. in depth, and it seems every channel cat in there is atleast 7lb.s plus.. i caught one alittle over 15lb. out of there a week before christmas a couple years back. and the other wintering holes that aren't as defined and deep hold lots of numbers, but not the average big size. you guys being hardcore winter fishermen i will tell you this, and maybe you already know, but if you get a day of bright sunlight on the river, and the temp.s don't even have to get much warmer, them channels will move shallow...really shallow, looking for warmer water and critters to feed during the high sun hours.. i often put the waders on in the winter even with high water and fish flooded shallow areas off of deeper water current breaks.. my uncle has a place on the river that is flooded in his yard right now, i go there often on sunny days and fish his yard..lol.. made a believer out of him last winter... anyways, hope this helps you some...goodluck....rollo

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have seen the same pattern thus far this winter. It seems the really deep holes we hit, like 50 to 60 ft, just arent producing much more than 1 fish, given the fish is usually a big blue, it seems like we catch more numbers of blues and channels in 20 to 30 ft for some reason..:confused2:

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Salmonid .... I just moved back to Ohio after living in Florida for 29 years ... So I can't really tell you (YET) about the winter fishing here, but can relate to you what I experienced in Northern Florida fishing when ice would form on the tip eyelet of my rod .... I was fishing the St Johns River ... in the coldest of weather it appeared that the channel cats would move up out of the deep holes onto the flats ... the one area I fished was from 35 to 60 feet deep ,.... the deep water area was the shape of a large J ... the cold days with a slight chop on the water the channels would move on to the flat which was from 4 to 7 feet deep. On a good day 2 people could catch 50 to 75 channel cats in the 1 1/2 to 5 pounds size in 3 hours .... you couldn't keep two poles in the water.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, mark it seems you have some good information to go off of...let us know how you do...lol...rollo

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    mark thank you for the information and merry christmas