cold natured

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by katcatchingfool, Jan 31, 2008.

1. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    why are some motors cold natured and some arnt? does it have something to do with the carburetors? both of my mercs are cold natured and my old evinrude and suzuki motors started up right away! i was just wondering i have a 1998 75hp merc and i have had several people tell me they think i get bad gas mileage...how many nautical miles should i be able to get with 6 gallons of gas?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I may get an argument on this. But every merc I have owned has been cold natured. During tournaments, on cold mornings, the mercs were slower to start and run. Good motors, but as you stated, cold natured.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I AGREE WITH MICKEY EVERY MERC IVE HADE WAS COLD NATURED:eek:oooh:

4. catfishcrazy256

State:
    Indiana
    I AGREE WITH MICKEY ALL MERCS I HAVE HAD WAS COLD NATURED :sad2:

5. catfishcrazy256

State:
    Indiana
    WELL I POSTED TWICE ,NOT SMART ENOUGH TO REMOVE ONE OF THEM !!!:confused2:

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I dont personally own a merc....but my uncle's 15hp (early to mid 80s i think?) Takes lots of pulls to start, and spits and sputters until she's warm. Good motor, just dont like the cold (I still give him a hard time about his "Black Anchor").:wink:

7. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    i have 125 merc and it dont hold a candle to the old 1985 johnson 90hp that i had prior to the merc. the johnson used to fire right up and the merc i have now as previously stated spits and sputters until it gets warmed up. its a bit annoying. i am about positive my next motor wont be a merc. I will say it has been a good motor besides that though but in cold weather it makes me nervous.

8. cathoodie

cathoodie New Member

State:
    florida
    oh, excuse me
    i thought this was about my wife:big_smile:

9. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    My little 2001 20 hp mercury is the same way . I have to adjust the carb a slight richer in the winter then put it back to factory setting come summer.I could probably step the low speed circuit a couple thousands and fix it for winter .But it runs to good in the summer to mess with.