Cold natured motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Nobody Special, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    My Evinrude 115 is cold natured. It takes a while cranking to get it started when it's cold and then it dies about 10 times before it warms up enough to run. Can I adjust the carbs a little richer maybe to make it start and run better when cold? It starts instantly and runs fine after the initial warm up.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Try this;

1- Pump the bulb to pressure the fuel delivery system.
    2- Turn the key to "On". Do NOT engage the starter.
    3- Push the key in to activate the primer and count to eight.
    4- Turn the key to "Start" (engage the starter).

You may have to "tap" the primer a couple of times. You should not have to advance the throttle as your motor has the "Quick start" feature.

Make sure your carbs are clean, you're using fresh 87 octane and Champion spark plugs.

If your carbs havent been cleaned in a while, do it

Also try cleaning the nipple for the primer on the carbs some times you can drill them out to I think .062 and it will help a bunch.

They are normanely cold natured any way that is the reason for the primer system.
    I am going on the assumption that this is a late model motor-in the ninties or later

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You obviously have a female motor Grumpy as I have had the same problems with actual females.;) :p Trade it for a male injected model.:) :rolleyes:OR do as Bubba says.

4. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    Yeah, it's a '98 model. Does the primer pump more fuel in the longer you hold it? I was assuming it was kind of like a choke and was only working while the motor was cranking. I've just been pushing it in and immediately turning the key. Maybe that's the problem.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its actually a primer grumpy. It will squirt fuel while you hold the key in.
    It has an orfice in the top of the carb that puts fuel into the throat while activated.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's also the only fuel that goes into the engine that is not metered through the carb's main jet, but through an orifice at the top rear of the carb, directly to the intake.

After your engine kicks, try quickly pushing in on the key a few times, for additional priming.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You sure that ain't a Merc engine under that cowling??? :grin-big: Every Merc I've had hated cold mornings until warmed up. They never let me down though, even on 0 degree mornings, just take a while to warm up.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great info!

I too, thought it was the choke! My Yamaha has always been slow to start when cold.

9. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    Thanks, I'll try holding it in for a few seconds before I try to crank it. As for tapping it a couple of times to keep it running, that's kind of hard to do. It's a Stratos and ol' Earl decided the key should go on the side of the boat behind the driver's knee instead of on the dash where normal people would have put it.