cold gear, What do you wear

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Dec 7, 2009.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    With the cold weather coming on, What do you wear to stay warm?
    I've worked the last few years out doors all winter long and even drove a snow truck w/out heat. Got to love the city I live in. Don't fix nothing if they can get away with it. I did throw in the towel and no longer work for them cause of things like this. But I do have what I believe is a good cold weather gear. Prior to working for the city I worked in an underground freezer and was good for up to 8 hours at -40 F. Now that was cold!
    I believe in layers and always started with Under Armour. It pulls all moister away from your skin and I wore it from head to toe. Not cheap but very durable. After that I'd put on a thin layer of cotton followed by Flannel or fleece. Got to love fleece lined jeans, Flannel lined is good but fleece is better. Regular johns help allot but never held up more than a season for me. My Under Armour has held up for going on 4+ years now and still hanging in there.
    Most the winter the last few years I wore my hoodie and a down vest and was just fine. I can't tell you the number of people who asked me wtf was wrong with me and I would just grin at them and say cold, its not that cold.
    I do believe in gortex and just love the stuff. Helps keep the moister and wind off of you and thats a major plus!
    My Question is: What do you suggest for those cold and rainy days of hunting and fishing?
    Lets not forget those hand warmers.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I wear a lot of layers and when it rains or snows I have a Dri-Suit from Frogg Toggs. I always carry a complete set of dry clothes on my truck when I fish or hunt. It only took one time of getting wet to teach me that.

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I have some long johns made by Rocky that are good for sitting still in 15 degree weather. On top of those I will wear either jeans or some carhartt duck overalls. On the topside I will usually put on a tshirt, then long sleeve denim shirt, then good carhartt coat. Over all of that I will put on my rain gear, I finally wore my gore tex rain gear out and just bought a set of the much cheaper frogg toggs. They seem to do just as well as the gore tex did when it comes to wind and moisture, I just have to see how they hold up. Shoot I can buy 5 sets of these for what one set of gore tex costs. If it is really cold out I put on a set of Dickies blizzard proof Ultras between the clothes and rainsuit but I am usually coming out of these if it is over 35 degrees.My biggest problem with getting cold is my feet. On those I wear a pair of merino wool socks and some waterproof polar edge 800 gram thinsulate boots. Those seem to do the trick for my feet. Like you said, lots of layers.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to layer up with longjohns, carhart bibs, fleece, and a windproof jacket.

5. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like to wear long johns then walls blizzard coveralls a pair of ranger boots with thermal socks and a full face mask

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I try to dress in Layers, If I get hot I will take a layer off.

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    since im in the military I take advantage of alot of the extra gear I have been issued over the years. We have under clothing similar to under armor, we call them ninja suits and they keep all the moisture away then I throw on some cotton sweat pants followed by my gortex trousers, I can stay in cold and wet for days. shirts the same I wear the ninja top, followed by a long sleeve cotton shirt, a short sleeve cotton shirt over that, a carhart jacket and my gortex jacket. I have some nice waterproof and insulated cold weather boots they issue us. and I wear a neck gaiter for my neck, chin and face and a skull cap on my head. The carhart and gortex jacket both have hoods. and I bring gloves but hardly use them unless we're moving on the boat. I wish they made a waterproof and insulated glove, that would top everything off.

I also keep my bear suit top and bottom on standby in the truck but lord knows I wouldnt need that unless I was in Canada, Germany or Russia, maybe chicago in the wind :smile2:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I wear just jeans and a tshirt and under amour under the tshirt and a hoodie then my Carhartt bibs or overalls depending what i feel like doing...then my serpa lined carhart sand stone jakcet...then i have carhartt stocking cap and i am getting a new pair of boots im not sure what im getting...I have to try them on..Basspro only carries up to 13 but boots run big some times so i ordered 4 pairs and have to wait till they come:confused2::confused2:...I wear a 14 or 15 sometimes so i have touble finding shoes:smile2::smile2:...and these socks You guys who fish in the codl hunt and work in the cold these are must...but there $10 a piar but they have a life time warranty you have to take them to bass pro and they will give you another pair:crazy::crazy::big_smile::eek:oooh::big_smile:

THESE ARE SO COMFORTABLE AND WARM IT ISNT EVEN FUNNY..IM ACCUALLY WEARING A PIAR NOW...i HAVE LIKE 10 PAIRS:crazy::crazy:...sorry for the caps...in to lazy to go and re type...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_34713_500008000_500000000_500008000_500-8-0

9. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    socks look great, im gonna go to bps in a couple days a buy a few pairs for me and the ol lady to wear around the house. dont need those with my cold weather boots my feet would sweat. :crazy:

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:...They dont make my feet sweat to much..there so comfortable though!!!

11. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I have a pair just like (ramon06) stated but they are black, when I'm chest deep in water while salmon fishing the toe are warn.:wink:

12. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    polartec base layers(expesinsive but worth every penny) followed by layers, then insulated bibs and a good jacket, good socks with a liner sock first and lastly good waterproof insulated boots. still trying to find a set of good waterproof gloves that work for me.

13. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i wear under armor and my 100mph gor-tex. bibs and top they are hard on the wallet but they are warm and water proof

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Layers are the way to go, but what the layers are made of is more important.

Base Layer
    First rule, NEVER WEAR COTTON!! Cotton kills in the cold when you get wet, or simply sweat.

Under Armor has done a good job of selling its brand, but any poly-prop underwear will work. Under Armor is more costly, but also readily available and dependable, and in my opinion worth the money because of its durability.

Be aware that Under Armor makes several different weights of base layer clothing for varying extremes of cold. My advice is not to buy the expensive stuff. Stick with the basic Cold Gear Under Armor (around $49-$59 per garment) as a base for wicking moisture, and utilize another layer for insulation. This cheaper model does not offer as much warmth as the price suggest, but it can not be beat for wicking moisture.

While I hate Rocky boots, they did license their name to a line of fleece lined underwear that Wal-Mart sells this year, and this stuff is awesome. Very affordable ($15-$18 per garment), comfortable, and warm. This stuff works well on top of the basic Under Armor base layer.

Mid Layer
    I add this layer when it really gets cold, and for me that is the teens and below. This is a heavy weight underwear and Gander Mountain store brand the most affordable and warm stuff I have seen. This is basically a very thick polyester fleece.

Outer Layer
    You can not beat 100% wool. It out performs any other material and is very affordable. Regular blue jeans are a wasted layer as they offer little if any protection from the cold, but the fleece lined jeans are a good options if you do not have wool pants. The other advantage to wool is that it holds its insulating properties even when wet.

Wind / Rain Layer
    This is your wind and rain break, and usually not cheap. The Bass Pro Shops 100mph suits ($400-$500) are nice, as are the Cabelas Guide Wear ($300-$400), and on the lower end if the Gander Mountain Guide Series ($200). They are usually a tightly woven nylon material and lined with Gore-Tex or similar waterproof fabric.

The cheaper route is to buy a $100 Carhartt rubber rainsuit. They don't breath like other material, but NOTHING penetrates them....wind nor rain. The bibs are nice on a catfish boat of you don't want to slime up your expensive coat or bibs!!

Head and Face
    I wear a fleece face mask when running the boat and if it is windy. I also carry a wool cap, again, you can beat wool! Neck gaiters are another good item for helping reduce how much heat escapes your body.

Feet
    Listen, you can spend $150-$200 on brand name boots from a major sporting good store, but I bought a pair of 1200 gram Thinsulate Herman Survivors at Wal-Mart six years ago and they have carried me through three trips to Canada for deer and countless January striper trips. BTW, the boots were $59!!! Add some silk sock liners and some high quality wool socks and you are set.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  15. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks dieter great job that should help some one out