Cold Fronts

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tcba1987, Apr 6, 2006.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i was wondering since we had the warmer weather for a few days and now this cold front passed through............how do cold fronts affect channel cats in a river. will it put them into a negative feeding mode for a few days like it does bass or do cats stay on the feed ?? i know all fish have a swim bladder and that barometer changes affect all fish but , i was just curious if cold fronts shut down the cat bite for a few days or not ???:confused:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think the barometric changes that a front brings is the main culprit is slowing them down, or sometimes shutting them off. you also have to consider the drop in water temps, and the amount of sunlight. the past couple days have been really crappy around here. been really windy during the day which means a falling barometor. those really warm days we had were crappy for me as well. warm days this early in the year usually (75% of the time) are acompanied by a south or southwest wind....falling barometor.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im not exactly sure about this, but I always like fishing in front of a storm front or weather change because they seem to be really actively feeding most of the time. Sometimes I have noticed that the bite turns off a little when a cold front sets in. But you never know when that big one will bite if your not out there so I try to fish every chance I get no matter what the weather!

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What about today:

It was 75 degrees, now we're getting this storm tonight w/ some hail. I dont know how the hail is coming when its so warm, but whatever.... SO w/ the warm rain will it warm the river up even though the temp is dropping?

5. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    that is a GOOD question, i went out yesterday morning and it was CHILLY out. i figured id try for awhile since i had to take my wife to work right next too the river. i got my biggest channel of the year so far...a 26 1/2 incher. GO FIGURE !!!

6. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    I've always felt that the fronts don't affect the smaller rives nearly as much as large rivers and even more , lakes. I've always been able to catch cats in the smaller rivers after a cold front.....but bigger rivers with a slower rate of current almost act as a lake would after a front......... Hail is formed at about 60 thousand feet Mellonhead , and is usually much larger when first formed. When falling down through the warmer air, it melts down to a smaller size.... so when you get baseball sized hail , you can imagine just how large it started out as....;) .... enough of science 101 .....:p That is a very nice sized channel cat @ 26 1/2 Brian ....;) THE CATKING !!!