Cold front issues in eastern PA

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by JoeDaCatKing, Sep 3, 2009.

1. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Do you think the fish are scattered from this last cold front still? On sunday when the storm was rolling in I was fishing in the rain and killing them... Now nothing. Is anybody else having issues? Ive heard about cold fronts making fish go deep for a couple days but how long? And do you think the full moon is keeping them deep as well?

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i don't know i haven't been out in a while, but i'll give it the test tomorrow nite and let ya know how the bite was:wink:, the water temp has dropped a few degs. that might also had an effect on the bite:confused2:

3. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    when a cold front moves through I try to hold off a couple days before I go out but thats really hard for me. Im gonna go out again friday night and try again.

4. Tha water last night in the Norristown pool was 70 degrees.:embarassed:

I don't remeber an August that the water temps never broke 80 degrees.:angry:

Between that, the past two weeks of flooding, cooler rainfall, and this huge ridge of high pressure and temp change, (It went from summer to fall in 36 hrs.:angry:), and this G/D friggin full moon, I am sure it has something to do with it.:sad2:

(I think they figured out the Sunny gig too:confused2:. Switch to smallmouths:big_smile::wink:.):0a10:

:smile2::smile2:

5. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I don't worry too much about cold fronts. I just love to fish and not going to past on a chance to fish because of a cold front. I never really put numbers together to know if catch numbers go down but I caught a good number of catfish after a cold front. Sometime you got to change things up a little bit but you can catch them.

6. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Yeah me too I tried live blugills & Shiners cut suckers,chub,gill and some foul shrimp for bait and got one bite on a 5in gill but i dont think it was a catfish
    nothing a couple half bites

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I catch my biggest flatheads every year when I have to wear a longsleeve or a sweatshirt!

Cold is good!

It makes them hungry!:cool2:

8. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm catching fish this weekend, I don't care if it snows and there are 12 full moons... :angry:

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I agree with Tan this is just the beginning of the fall feeding engorgement,this is gonna kick on the bite big time just have patience fellow flatters they will come :wink:

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the only thing i hate about cold weather fishin is reachin in the bait bucket :tounge_out:, and how by the end of the nite all my gear and box is wet with condinsation:confused2:

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Pack an extra towel ta dry everything off and dry your hands off good after baitin up before puttin your gloves back on :wink:

12. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    kinda getting off topic here I catch great numbers in the fall Im trying to figure out how long after a front rolls through will I be able to catch fish again? Im pretty sure Im going to answer my own question by this weekend or next week. And I catch fish after a cold front comes through too but the numbers are way down. I also fish from shore so its not as easy to target fish. My original thought was 3 days but i proved myself wrong yesterday evening.

13. Lenny my friend:crazy:, I am so disapointed that you haven't learned any thing on my boat pal!:embarassed:

Didn't you notice the two "Absorber" towels I keep on board:eek:oooh:. They are made of rubber and are for drying your car off. I keep two on the boat and they are one of the best things to have:roll_eyes:.

They soak and dry up things good, and wring it out and it's nice and dry again!:wink: This week with all the heavy condensation after 9:00, I even use them to cover my phone and smokes, and they stay nice and dry.:tounge_out:

And the containers they come in are perfect for storing them and as a back up bailing device in case that boat with the badge asks if ya have one.:confused2: :smile2:

And if they get fishy stinky:angry:, they are machine washable.:big_smile: I have had the same one for two years, they are a good investment for any fisherman or boater.:cool2:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
  14. I don't think there is a certain time frame buddy.:cool2:

Just a matter of having your bait in the right spot at the right time, that's all everything on fishing boils down to in my book.:cool2:

15. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    yeah i know that but they are not behaving normally in the Octoraro Lake. I know Im not the only one who has this happen after a cold front. When the lake hits a certain temperature (which i plan to document this year) the big feed begins I just want to know if anybody has an idea when the fish go back to their usual feeding habits. I have this lake dialed in, in normal situations. But with no boat i cant get to where they are after a cold front comes through.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  16. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I think that as the temperatures stabilize a little, (which is happening day to day here) the bite will be fine. The "fall magic time" will start soon too. You know the time fish put the feed bag on for the upcoming winter. Things will get better Joe.

Ray

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    damn i just thought those were SHAM-WOWS :smile2:

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

This aint no cold front.This is an early fall.Hit em hard and hit em now!:eek:oooh:

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Why do you always choose to come down and fish during the stupid full moon? Don't you remember the disasterous trip we took during that awful June full moon?

20. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Funny, I guess that some of us just don't never learn, me included :eek:oooh: