Cold feet ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by JimmyJonny, Nov 18, 2008.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ok folks my feet are cold so lets see what you guys wear to stay warm.

I need a boot that is pure cold winter fishing . I do not want a $150 boot...in fact I don't care if they come from Wal-Mart . Maybe in a year or to I can buy high dollar boots but for now I wanna make it for the winter .

What gram Thinsulate do you like best ? I don't have the best circulation in my toes so I want to wear one pair of wool socks and a thin wick layer ....nothing more. I will be sure buy something that isn't tight after my socks .

I already have 2 pair of boots, one for summer and one for temps in the low 40's range . I now need something to stay warm in the 20's...even lower.

I've often wondered if the rubber outside boots would be better. I really don't want a camo type hunting boots at all .

I also want to get away from foot warmers etc . I just need a warm , water proof boot that I don't layer up sock and warmers.....

Thanks in advance

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Here is what I can tell you about cold feet.

If you are STANDING STILL OR SITTING. There is nothing you can do to keep your feet completely warm!

Now with years of military experience in cold weather climates, I can tell you what I have found that works the best for me. Don't laugh.

Wear your favorite tennis shoes and then put a pair of rubber overboots over top of them. This works really well.

Make sure you don't have a pair of the light weight, vented shoes, just normal shoes will work just fine. The biggest problem is that the boots don't get very good traction, but your feet will be warm and dry.

Another tip for keeping your feet warm. Spray your feet with Anti-persperent (not deoderent) and this will keep your feet from sweating.

3. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I wear knee high rubber boots, 1000 gr thinsulate and boot socks.

4. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Shane , I aint laughing cause I thought about the same thing ; )

Do you use a plain, non insulated rubber boot and then your tennis shoes ?

I assume you had to buy bigger tennis shoes to fit wool socks also ?

Keep the ideas coming folks...thanks.

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    brother hill jacks right, sweat is the culprit, the warmer your feet the more they sweat and colder they get. I like the over boot idea, I'm going to try that. I have a propane hand warmer/heater on my toon. if I keep my hands warm, and dressed for weather I do ok. 35 degrees and 25 degrees feel the same. I wear long wool socks but they arnt very thick, and the same boots I wear night fishing in the summer. I seen a clearance sale on them overboots a couple weeks ago, I wish I would have bought them now.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have that problem also. My feet always get cold so I use a good pair of wool socks and boots that are at least 800 gram thinsulite. I an thinking about a pair of tall rubber boots soon.

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    look into buying a pair of muck boot's they will do the job and then some.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I just bought a pair of over shoes to day from tractor supply when I was in the army stationed in Germany thats what we wore take along a extra pair of warm socks also

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Try some pac boots from Cabelas. They are warm,lightweight,and not too expensive. I don't wear wool socks,they make my feet sweat. Just plain socks for me.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  11. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I haved used a rubber boot over a regular pair of shoes, with a good pair of wool socks. It don't get much cheaper than that. Like the other post said you do have to watch your footing. I have also heard good things about pac boots.

12. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I don't fish in cold weather but I do sell some cold weather gear in my store. my customers say the answer to cold feet is polypropylene socks. They wick the moisture away from the feet. You can't warm wet feet. poly pro is expensive like 13.00 a pair.

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Jim, Go to a Army surplus store & get a pair of (Mickey Mouse) boots, around $65.00... They will keep your feet warm & dry... :0a26::0a18:

14. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    craddock1.......

I've been researching and the sock is called a " liner sock ".....extremely important. I advise to research it !!!!! This sock is not only for winter. Its use in every sport , even during summer...extremely important .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First wear the liner sock , then use thick socks made of fleece, IsoWool and similar type fabrics. , and then your boot equals the warms possibilities .

Smartwool should be researched also.

So basically you wear the liner sock first which is a thin sock that does double duty on drawing moisture out away from your foot. Then you wear the thick wool or smart wool sock. The thick wool sock will draw the moisture from the liner sock .

Depending on the boot , wool will dry on its own just from body heat alone but it's always advised to bring a extra pair.

But as mentioned , if your not moving , keeping warm is difficult . Movement keeps blood circulation moving better, therefore keeping you warmer .

I'm still researching the boots part and I will post my findings later . Pac boots and Sorel boots come up a lot so far. I do admit that the rubber boot does sound realistic to me ...and more affordable .

Please keep the ideas coming . The stuff I've found I cant afford atm but I wanted to pass alone my information hoping it helps someone else that might be willing to spend the money .

Last but not least and many know, never , ever wear ANY cotton material during winter !!!! It has no heating abilities and will make you perspire and hold it next to your skin creating and cold film .

One last trick.....look up using chili or cayenne pepper in your socks to stay warm . It's a old trick still used today ; )

I hope this helps yas also.

-Jim-

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Jimmy of course my 20/72 big cat edition boat is aluminum.....an instant ice box:tounge_out::eek:oooh: i purchased a 1/4 inch thick foam rubber mat...really helps on the feet more than a guy would think:wink: That aluminum gets cold fast!!! a boot i purchased for 20 bucks are those ski-fur lined-zip ups from academy now there not water proof but there really warm & comfortable combined with the mat ya cant beat them...I sprayed mine with waterproof silicone spray....I used them all last year & liked them:wink:

16. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Thanks Sam . My problem is that I get wet . I shore fish a lot and have to get to the edge in the mud/water while mouthing big Blues . My other problem would be using a cast net if I'm in the boat ..... My feet and legs get soaked catching herring . People who wouldn't get as wet as I do may consider your idea...the price is great that for sure .....thanks for sharing.

I'm checkin out those Mickey Mouse boots and they do look good. More reviews would be nice if anyone uses them .

Thanks folks...keep em coming !!!

-Jim-

17. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    A good and informative post Thanks. Later Andy

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    ...you do not want tight socks or boots, which restrict circulation. That is one reason the pac boots are so good. They're like big, comfy, insulated house slippers. Not something you want to climb mountains in, but for sedentary activities like fishing, they're the shiz.

Trivia: Sorel fell on hard times several years back, and they're now owned by Columbia Sportswear.

19. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have the cold feet problem also. I have tiny feet and can never find any cold weather outdoor boots that cost under 100 buck's. So what I have is a pair of water resistant kids hunting boots and a pair of battery powered socks. I get the socks at Rural King and Tractor Supply for around 15 bucks. They keep my feet so warm that sometimes I have to turn them off for awhile.

20. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Surplus "Mickey Mouse" or as I call them "Bunny Boots" are some of the best there are for the price. The reason they are so good is the felt insulation is seal in rubber, so sweat/moisture cannot get in it. I have been running a trap line in Alaska at -40 and broke through thin spots in the ice while running a slough. Boots full of water that is boderline frozen... Sit down, take the boot off and dump the water out, put it back on and keep on truckin...feet stay warm as can be...... My.02:wink: