Cold December Morning

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by iowacatter, Dec 3, 2006.

1. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Willie and myself went out this morning at about 8:15, what a cold brisk morning, buuuuuuurr!

On the way out to our hunting grounds, the thermometer in my truck read 8 degrees, there was also a very chilly NW wind, dont know how many mph it was but it made your eyes water, I can tell ya that!

We saw a ton of birds flushing wild about 100-200 yrds from us. But I figured a few of them would stick around, so we just watched em fly, and kept going.

Willie was pointing hens like crazy! When we got to where we had seen them all flushing from, I just slowed down and let Willie work and sure enuff, there were a few roosters, who had decided to stay! That was a poor decision!!
    All three were shot after a solid point!

We got our 3 birds and walked back to the truck 9:45.

It was a great morning of hunting and always a pleasure to hunt with Willie!

This is Willie, with the rewards of his hard work!
    Thanks for viewing!

Attached Files:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Willie's cool. A Lab that points. He definately looks like the boss.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Dang it Stan.... I have yet to see a bird this year except for on the BOC lol.

Sounds like another good day! Nice work and nice looking dog too!

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to Go Stan. Reps to You and Willie. Your Friend J.D.
    :dribble:

5. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob,
    Willie has been pointing since he was a pup. I had heard of pointing Labs and did some research on them, decided thats what I needed! A close working dog who points,holds it until told to flush and retrieves like a machine! This is his 7th yr of hunting pheasants and quail, and he is everything I could ask for. I don't know how could ever hunt without him!

Chris, you better get back and shoot afew before we get em all!! Just kiddin Buddy, we'll try to save you a few!:big_smile:

J.D. Willie deserves ALL the reps!! All I do is walk along and TRY to hit em for him! lol

Thanks Guys!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Way to go Stan and Willie phesant season starts here on the 6th i think i hope i get to go even though its only for 4 days

7. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Richard, only 4 days to hunt pheasants??? Thats harsh! lol That would be tough on me as its about all I do in the fall and winter!

I hope you do get to go out and have alot of success, and even more fun!
    Be careful and good Luck!

8. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    8 DEGREES :waaaht:
    Stan, pat Willie on the head for me. He's a great looking dog.

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like a great hunt with a great dog! Going back out this weekend, but it looks like the temps are going to be back up in the 40s and 50s. We'll probably see a lot of wild flushers!

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stan it looks like Willie is as photo friendly dog that loves to hunt. A great dog is priceless. Glad you had a good day. Thanks for sharing this trip.

11. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Stan I never will forget about 3 years ago, walking up a Iowa hill side bean field and the temp was about 20 and the wind 20 mph. I've never been so cold in my life!
    Didn't seem to bother Max & his hair is a lot thinner than my clothes. When I got back to the truck & started to warm up, I bet you could hear my teeth chatter clear up there.

Looks like you have a great dog there. Sure is fun working with them, isn't it?
    Long ago, my uncle had pointing labs & wouldn't think of anything else.