Cold day trout fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Mar 2, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went out to Shawnee Mission lake trout fishing today.Caught three on 1/4 oz little cleo and a couple on power bait. turned the 4th one loose a couple times and then I couldn't catch that 4th one for my limit. I did end up with one fattie that was 21 inches and about 3.5 lbs.

Attached Files:

2. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    This fish was a chunky one.

Attached Files:

3. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    nice fish there,,, hes gonna be good eatin!!

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats Eric. It does look cold. :0a18:
    Way to go huntin some trout.:wink::smile2:

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Good job Eric..I love trout fishing and trout eating :

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks for the pics and story Eric, Those look like some nice trout:smile2::smile2:

7. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i hope i catch one like that wen i go this weekend:roll_eyes::smile2::wink:

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice catch Eric, and Junior. Trout are kinda camera shy like channel cats. Photos just dont do them justice, but Ive caught enough nice ones to be able to tell by your photos, that you got some nice ones. Went to Wy. Co. again Sun. morning, and didnt get any. I couldnt believe it, usually day 2 and 3 are better than opening day. Oh well, Ill be out there again Thurs, and Fri. Morn.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Usually takes me a while to find them sometimes but then we catch a whole bunch. I had to move 5 or 6 times all over the lake to get the ones I did get.Didn't catch more than 2 in any one place.And I had to resort to power bait I usually don't bait fish over there at SMP just at the ditch.

10. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    did you go by the dam any? i did good there last year im thinking about going this week some time and seeing whats up. good looking fish tho. i went to wynadotte lake opener and got 3 good ones and one small one. in the snow lol. no one was doing any good but us that i could see.:cool2:

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    When I fished there a few years ago all I could catch them on was Yellow power bait none of the other colors would even get a bite.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Eric, nice looking trout. We have'm here up on post, nothing like those though. Oh, were you afraid the one you're holding in the last picture might bitcha:wink::roll_eyes::smile2:

13. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    My son dropped it the first time so I thought I'd try out the new catfish gripper...works pretty good.

14. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I'd be happy to take you out in the boat send me a pm I will be fishing Saturday morning, Sunday and Monday rain or shine.Send me a PM if you wanna go... If I was bank fishing concentrate on shallow flats and coves... By the willow tree {swim beach] the cove by the boat ramp,across the bridge over the swamp along the steep bank and in the back of the big cove or the flat by the dam. Use an ultralight and 4-6 lb test power bait {favorite colors pink lemonade,sherbert,captain america,corn etc.} Use a simple slip sinker rig about 3/8 to 1/2 oz weight a small barrel swivel about 12-18 inches of leader and a very small {size 14 or 16} treble hook. As far as lures go I like 1/4 or 1/6 oz little cleos,Panther Martins 1/16 to 1/4,Roostertails 1/16 to 1/4 and kastmasters 1/12 to 1/4. Use lighter lures with lighter rigs in shallower water.For the small lures I use a 6'6" bass pro micro lite with a 10bb okuma reel w/ 4 lb test. For the bigger lures I use a 10' Wally Marshall crappie rod with an Okuma 9 bb reel and 6 lb or 8 lb line.:cool2: Limit is 4 per day per person..fish are much bigger than those pipecleaners the state stocks.